• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Im going to do this thing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
A flinter that is. After nearly 50 years of shooting and hunting with muzzle loader, im going to begin shooting a flintlock. I'll be piecing together the necessities for shooting and hunting with it and while the majority of the accoutrements are interchangeable between cappers and flinters, I'm uncertain about the priming horn.

I'm considering just priming from the main horn but that seems a bit cumbersome so I'll make a priming horn and try both ways. So here's the question (Finally!!). Will those little push type priming dispensers work with 3f powder.

Yeah, I know, all this over a simple thing like that. 😂

I prime from the main horn using 2f or 3f in .62 and .69 caliber smooth bores. I don’t find it cumbersome, but that’s how I learned and am used to it.

A flinter that is. After nearly 50 years of shooting and hunting with muzzle loader, im going to begin shooting a flintlock. I'll be piecing together the necessities for shooting and hunting with it and while the majority of the accoutrements are interchangeable between cappers and flinters, I'm uncertain about the priming horn.

I'm considering just priming from the main horn but that seems a bit cumbersome so I'll make a priming horn and try both ways. So here's the question (Finally!!). Will those little push type priming dispensers work with 3f powder.

I have a 3 grain push dispenser on my Priming Horn…fffg works just fine. You may have to shake the horn on occasion when using it.

they do for me

I prime from the main horn using 2f or 3f in .62 and .69 caliber smooth bores. I don’t find it cumbersome, but that’s how I learned and am used to it.
I do the same thing. No need to carry extras. Since I use FFFg in almost all of my rifles and pistols, one horn does the job of two.

Seems like most have found that they can use the 3f with theirs so I'm going to go ahead and make one. I have several little horns that can be used. If it doesn't work I'll get some 4f.

Seems like a good opportunity to try flattening a horn.

@Rock Home Isle I think I have seen you mention shooting at the Ft Lupton club. Are you doing the pistol shoot this Saturday?

@Rock Home Isle I think I have seen you mention shooting at the Ft Lupton club. Are you doing the pistol shoot this Saturday?
I do not have a pistol that I would consider “Competition Ready”…though Randy always is kind enough to offer me one of his. Wow, he can tune a gun to wring out all its ability.

Are you going?

Last edited:
I have one (just started using one) and it does not consistently throw 3F. I don't have any 4F to try. The nose of the plunger often gets gooey from touching the pan and that tends to plug it also.

I prime from the horn with my .32 caliber. I use 3fg and a dedicated horn for that gun. I think once I run out of 2fg, I may switch over to strictly 3fg for all my flintlocks. Then I'll prime them all from the horn. Right now, I use my pan primer with my two .54 calibers and my 20 gauge.

I never use the big horn for priming or loading. I guess I am too safety oriented. I always pour into a measure, then the rifle. I do use a push type brass pan primer(4F) and have never had a problem with one. I keep one in each bag.
I used to prime from the shooting horn, but I really notice an improvement when I use ffffg to prime the pan. Now I carry a priming horn.

I do not have a pistol that I would consider “Competition Ready”…though Randy always is kind enough to offer me one of his. Wow, he can tune a gun to wring out all its ability.

Are you going?
I had planned to but we have ended up hosting a BBQ at lour house sooo......

I have an FIE cap lock pistol that I've rarely shot. If it's legal for the pistol shoots im going to try it sometime. Also have an 1860 but im not sure if it is allowed.

LC it made me smile to read your post! I'm glad you are going to to try a Flintlock after all your years of shooting percussion.

I use one of those little brass primers with 4f but it runs out on a long woods walk so I just prime whatever is in the horn and get on with it lol!

Good luck and have fun!

Latest posts

Back