• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm a Free Trapper. My bag, horns and accouterments.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leather that has been hardened (don't ask me how- I don't know) by my friend that made all this.

Speaking of carrying percussion caps this is the first time I've done it. I bought one of those brass cap containers but the lid is hard to get off, which I suppose is a good thing so they don't dump out in the bottom of my bag. What are some other, historically correct (early 1800's), ways of carrying a "tin" of caps in the bag, easy to access, but won't spill out easily?

Yes as Ranch Roper said kind of like a mini cows knee. As for other ways there are not many the tin like you said can be a P.I.A. or a in-line capper, perhaps someone will post on documenation of how the original mountain men done it. I like your set up with the caps, quick for acess when ephriam is breathing down yer back.

The extremely talented artisan who brought my vision to life is David Moore. I am forever in his debt.

I've been trapping North America since the end of the Revolutionary War. I've traded with all the Fur companies over the years. I stay out year round so have sized everything to my needs-and I'm 6' 5" so easily handle over-sized.

You might have seen my powder horn before. It is a battle horn. It holds two pounds of powder. Because I was born in 1755 and went through the golden age of horns it is a "transition" between that era and the plain horns of the later Rendezvous era which isn't quite here yet as it is 1822.

My possibles bag is also over-sized. It too maintains just a little frontiersman influence, again a "transition" between eras. The bag is gusseted and has two sewn in pouches.

View attachment 124362

On the back of my bag hang my over-sized patch knife (doubles as a utility knife) and a bag axe that weighs 12.8oz.

View attachment 124363

View attachment 124364

I'm still putting together the accouterments. But here are three. A percussion cap holder (for when percussion caps are available), a cleaning rod for my pistols, and a very small flat priming horn (I can prime from my battle horn if I so choose).

View attachment 124365
very fricken nice. Great work

I knew a "Shooter" who used a piece/strip of fairly stiff leather, but not to stiff, with the appropriate sized hole cut in it, to hold several caps. It made a very nice flexible capper which on a sinew lanyard like your powder measure is on, can be tucked in the bag during questionable weather or shorten and left hanging at what ever length works best when actively shooting.!

After thinking long and hard I decided on putting the cap holder on the bag strap after all (time will tell if the powder horn strap interferes). I secured it with the powder measure lanyard and routing the lanyard as I did allows me to keep the lanyard long so I can put the measure in the bag, or adjust the length of the lanyard, or I have an extra length of lanyard I can cut off if I need some elsewhere. Hopefully I got this right.

View attachment 140810
the BEAVER TAIL on the bag is JUST KILLER!!!

I have my hatchet on the back of my bag, a really great place to carry it, the end of the handle only sticks down 4-5", hardly know it is there.

Back