• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm a Free Trapper. My bag, horns and accouterments.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The extremely talented artisan who brought my vision to life is David Moore. I am forever in his debt.

I've been trapping North America since the end of the Revolutionary War. I've traded with all the Fur companies over the years. I stay out year round so have sized everything to my needs-and I'm 6' 5" so easily handle over-sized.

You might have seen my powder horn before. It is a battle horn. It holds two pounds of powder. Because I was born in 1755 and went through the golden age of horns it is a "transition" between that era and the plain horns of the later Rendezvous era which isn't quite here yet as it is 1822.

My possibles bag is also over-sized. It too maintains just a little frontiersman influence, again a "transition" between eras. The bag is gusseted and has two sewn in pouches.

IMG_5620.jpg

On the back of my bag hang my over-sized patch knife (doubles as a utility knife) and a bag axe that weighs 12.8oz.

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

I'm still putting together the accouterments. But here are three. A percussion cap holder (for when percussion caps are available), a cleaning rod for my pistols, and a very small flat priming horn (I can prime from my battle horn if I so choose).

IMG_5622.jpg

The extremely talented artisan who brought my vision to life is David Moore. I am forever in his debt.

I've been trapping North America since the end of the Revolutionary War. I've traded with all the Fur companies over the years. I stay out year round so have sized everything to my needs-and I'm 6' 5" so easily handle over-sized.

You might have seen my powder horn before. It is a battle horn. It holds two pounds of powder. Because I was born in 1755 and went through the golden age of horns it is a "transition" between that era and the plain horns of the later Rendezvous era which isn't quite here yet as it is 1822.

My possibles bag is also over-sized. It too maintains just a little frontiersman influence, again a "transition" between eras. The bag is gusseted and has two sewn in pouches.

View attachment 124362

On the back of my bag hang my over-sized patch knife (doubles as a utility knife) and a bag axe that weighs 12.8oz.

View attachment 124363

View attachment 124364

I'm still putting together the accouterments. But here are three. A percussion cap holder (for when percussion caps are available), a cleaning rod for my pistols, and a very small flat priming horn (I can prime from my battle horn if I so choose).

View attachment 124365
I love the setup, awesome bag and love the axe, knife n bag being all in one spot. Very impressive indeed.

That's a very nice outfit, @cornstalk ! Well thought out and beautifully assembled. Your pouch really does have a "beaver tail" flap!

The whole assemblage is awesome, but I especially like the "battle horn"... The artwork and calligraphy are very well executed, of course, but the form, coloration, and carving are above reproach. The "lobe" on the butt is proportioned as they should be. You see a few modern-made horns on which this projection for strap attachment Is oversized, and too big to look good. Yours is just right.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I really like @cornstalk's bag and accoutrements. The timeline is bit long but fitting for our 21st century interpretations. He would be 67 at the time of the 1822 Rendezvous. A bit old perhaps but not impossible. Most had settled down at that age with occasional forays into the wilderness. So, I am going to like his gear and his story.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It was a long, fun process.

@andy52 @Rod Man, ah but you forget the SXS I carry. :)
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/the-double-double.139438/
I actually have a cap holder I wanted to mount on my bag strap but unfortunately the powder horn strap would probably knock the caps off. So for now I've opted for the one in the photo.

@Grenadier1758 For "my long timeline" I was inspired by two hunting outfitters I know up here in Alaska. One is in his '90's and still flies his SuperCub around the state visiting friends at their bush camps.

The other is in his '70's and IN THE WINTER he and his wife still ride their snow machines from the Anchorage area to Barrow (the northern most point in the United States). No roads, no towns, no restaurants, no gas stations. Over 700 miles as the raven flies and over two mountain ranges. Something they've done each year for many years.

Both of these guys are my inspiration to stay healthy and stay in shape and keep going until the very last second-whenever that is.

@appalichian hunter looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

As I put together the remaining accouterments I'll post them back here.

The concept of percussion caps date back to 1800 and were starting to be introduced by the early 1820’s. So our intrepid trapper may have been able to acquire or convert his long rifle to percussion.
Supplies of caps at the time may have been spotty at best, kind of like today, so more than likely he stuck to his trusty flintlock.

Back