• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition issue with Flint GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for gunk in the chambered breech plug, a nylon brush may help. A bronze brush can get very stuck if you are unlucky. I do not recall what size of brush fits the chamber, maybe someone does? A pointy dowel might be useful to see where the chambers marked the pointy end. The internal diameter could be roughly determined that way.

The Lyman manual suggests a .38 cal undersized jag for the breech. I use a .357 just because I already had one, but I have found that I need to use it only to dry/rust proof, since flushing with water when cleaning gets all the gunk out.

EDIT: the disadvantage is that the undersized jag loses a cleaning patch down the bore about half the time (easily grabbed with a worm). So, the nylon brush suggestion may be a better idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got the ball pulled and the barrel cleaned up and appreciated the fact that I greased the touch hole liner last time so it was very easy to remove. I may open it up but I went ahead while I was at it and ordered RMC liners for the GPR, my T/C Penn Hunter, and Traditions rifle and pistol. In for a penny in for a pound. I figure while I have the liner out and waiting on the new one I will investigate what size brush can get all the way down in the breech.

Thinking about it, if I had not been embarrassed at having trouble in front of a new-to-me group I may have done differently at the range. I would have removed the liner and dribbled some 4f in, replaced the liner and shot the ball out. Oh well, worse things (but not much) than practicing pulling a ball I guess.

Back