• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IF you could only hunt one animal...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idaho Ron said:
One is 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 Dachshund. She is an excellent squirrel dog.

Any pictures of this little rascal, Ron? :idunno:

Would love to see that mix.....has to be an entertaining little snot! :haha:

To the rest of ya, stay on topic, this ain't no dog picture thread! :blah:

Skychief.

Again,..That would have to be Moose,..with a side of Ptarmigan/Spruce Hens. With the right gun you can load it light or heavy to do what you need.

after killing many a cow, (and far less) bulls with a smoke pole....have to be elk. The country they live in...can't be beat!

makeumsmoke said:
Just invented a new word.....Grousewoodcockwaterfowl :grin:

redo..rules you know...."squirrels"....makes me a better shot...longer season.and able to get the boy's away from school to do it.
Makes for a great Gentleman's hunt(low pressure)woods to yourself's...pot of squirrels in the slow cooker all day..just the smell walking in the door is worth it.

Like I said 6 a day
That is 6 shots a day not 1 a year! for 6 months .
Seams I squirrel hunters would have more time in the field and more fun :grin: but just me!
Have Fun
Phil

Some of you make a powerful arguement for the squacks. Perhaps I will make them my choice too. :hmm:

Hmmm, I don't recall a squirrel gobbling his head off 30 yards away and still just out of range :slap: . It has to be turkeys for me, with squirrel coming in second place maybe.

Skychief :stir: :stir: :stir:

I have to go with squirrels or rabbits a lot longer season and a lot more shootin at a smaller target

This is a weenyhuahua. SHe is the little one :thumbsup: Ron

Zoey.jpg

Skychief said:
Idaho Ron said:
One is 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 Dachshund. She is an excellent squirrel dog.

Any pictures of this little rascal, Ron? :idunno:

Would love to see that mix.....has to be an entertaining little snot! :haha:

To the rest of ya, stay on topic, this ain't no dog picture thread! :blah:

Skychief.

Thank you Ron. I was gonna say she looks ike trouble, but heck, they both do. :rotf:

What's her temperment and intelligence like, she is a good looking little "Mix".

Thanks again, Skychief.

PS: We have an aging terrier on this end and may need a replacement quicker than I care to think about. I WONT be without a dog. Have already shown the picture to "The General" with lots of "oohs" and "aahs" following! :wink:

Two sharp looking dogs.

A friend had a wire-haired fox terrier that was a squirrel hunting machine.

My Jake, a Kerry Blue Terrier, does as well with squirrels as anything. He stands on one side of a tree while I walk around to the other and, after a pause, when I call him he trots off and the squirrel moves around to my side of the tree. Jake never even looks up.

That's about it with Jake. He does not like guns.

Chipmunks? He's grim death on chipmunks. :shake:

Talking of "squirrel" dogs...a few yrs back bought an Airedale on advice that they're top notch at hunting squirrels. The big problem w/ this Airedale was that he'd chase one on the ground but never figured out where it went and never looked up to find out. Took a shot at a squirrel w/ my LR, just "nicked" the head and it jumped to the ground w/ this dog in hot pursuit. Ran after them and when I caught up to them found the Airedale standing there whimpering w/ the squirrel hanging from his lower jaw. Tapped the squirrel, it let go and ran. Like an idiot, I bought a second Airedale w/ the same results. Terrier = terra= earth... so many terriers go to ground after game and evidently these Airedales were "ground dogs"...Finally solved the situation w/ a German Shepherd.....Fred

Your right she is trouble. She is a very intelligent dog but it took her longer to hunt squirrels than I thought it should. I introduced her to hunting them withe the GSP and the first summer she would not grab them and shake them. This year she is grabbing and shaking. She has also figured out how to work the other side of the tree. to get me the shot. She retrieves them for me also. She is a big help thinning out the squirrel population but I am not a squirrel hunter.
She is the best watch dog I have had in years. NOTHING gets by this dog. She doesn't bark at cats . She barks at squirrels in the tree in the day and if anyone walks by our house at night she lets me know. We live outside of town.
She was very possessive with food and toys and I lined that out fast. She will growl at us talking to us. After I lined out the possessiveness I mistakenly thought she was being mean. She was just talking. Both dogs are on free choice food and don't fight. With that said I did see them fight over a cracker once. She held her own and didn't back down. This mix is maybe not the best for small kids but for a guy wanting a hunting dog she is not bad. I started to teach her to point birds and she was doing well. The big problem with that was she doesn't have the drive to search independently for birds on her own. She will steal a point from the GSP but not get her own. She is a cool little dog. Ron

Skychief said:
Thank you Ron. I was gonna say she looks ike trouble, but heck, they both do. :rotf:

What's her temperment and intelligence like, she is a good looking little "Mix".

Thanks again, Skychief.

PS: We have an aging terrier on this end and may need a replacement quicker than I care to think about. I WONT be without a dog. Have already shown the picture to "The General" with lots of "oohs" and "aahs" following! :wink:

Best hunting dog I ever had was half fox terrier, half small beagle.Woukd "yip" on birds "open bawl on bunnies. Got jealous watching us making a fuss over a pointer, so he started doing it. He would never allow another male dog on our farm, But he would tolerate them while on neighboring farms. Was severely wounded first trip into a badger hole. He hated them after that, was hard to keep him out of holes. They got him one day while I was in school. Dragged himself home. I was 17 and cried like a baby running the shovel.

Back to hunting critters, not critters used for hunting.

My choice of ML game animal would be be Wild Pig in the Southeast, or Javelina in the Southwest.

Both are wily targets. Both take some serious knocking down. Both will turn and try to take you out if you don't do your job right. Both do mega damage to the environment. Both are mega tasty in multiple ways - roasted, braised, smoked, fried as chops and steaks, stewed, you name it..

If the name VTdeerhunter didn't give it away...maybe some pictures would help...can't imagine not doing this!!!! :thumbsup:

Bowseason2005012.jpg

March2012603.jpg

AnticostiIsland051.jpg

Back