• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IF you could only hunt one animal...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ELK!!! No doubt. I like hunting other critters but I LOVE hunting elk, esp. in the Sept. rut.

White Tail Deer Hybrid. Cross between Deer, Rabbits, Squirel and Turkey.
Funny lookin'critter, but yummy.

Tough question, alright. Well, let me see, now. If I just had to choose just ONE critter to go after and that would encompass everything I like about hunting I have to say I'd move back to Ga and hunt swamp boojums. It's at least (probably more) as dangerous as hunting ol' Griz and taxes a person's skills like nothing else on earth. You can (if you manage to actually kill one) kill the critter and either leave it in the woods or take it home and use the hide, bones, meat, all of it. But this fearsome critter can kill YOU and either leave you spread like bacon strips over two acres of woodland OR take YOU home and feed you to its....uh, babies.

Second would be hunting for those wild bull cabbages - even the cows are scrappy. Underneath that leafy hide are fangs and claws that would do justice to a wildcat.

Ayup! Fine eating, and the only season on 'em is salt and pepper. Year around, the ranchers are glad to see you, and kill as many as you want. The "other" guys are using night vision scopes on M-16's and M-14's w/ 20-30 round magazines to mow 'em down.

You wind up w/ so much sausage, you give a LOT of it to the local food banks or church members.

Do understand that an adult breeding pair will be responsible for up to 75 piglets a year - they start breeding at 6 months old, and they have no real predators in NA.

I used to be on a lease with a state wildlife biologist. He showed me their calculations when he was making the case for year round pig hunting on public land. According to him, once you reach a certain population density and you take into account 2nd and third generation litters, if they're not hunted hard they can double their population every 9 months.

we don't have them here, yet. (i'm in southeast Vermont) there's some question as to whether they'll come this far north, but i suspect that with 'climate change,' and the fact that they're clever, tough and adaptable little buggers, we'll see them soon enough.

just one guy's free opinion, and no doubt worth the price.

well, just out of curiousity i 'googled' it up and it seems that there are, in fact, hunts available on private preserves here in Vermont, so I guess it's just a matter of time until a few break loose and get out into the rest of the state and there we'll be. They probably won't over - run us as fast as they did in the SouthWest, but i'd bet we'll have more than our fair share before the decade's out.

MSW said:
we don't have them here, yet. (i'm in southeast Vermont) there's some question as to whether they'll come this far north, but i suspect that with 'climate change,' and the fact that they're clever, tough and adaptable little buggers, we'll see them soon enough.
Ayup. Considering that we are a bit further north and and there are already several established (& growing) populations of feral Russian boars, domestic pigs, and crosses in central and Northern Alberta, I expect that you'll be seeing them eventually.

Regards,
Joel

MSW said:
so I guess it's just a matter of time until a few break loose and get out into the rest of the state and there we'll be.

Or like what happened here in Michigan. A few years ago some "tree huggers" cut a fence and let them out. They aren`t in my area yet but they eventually will be. To give credit to our DNR they quickly made it legal to shoot free ranging hogs on sight but they`re still multiplying fast and causing property damage as they expand their territory.

I'd have to say bunnys just cause there are just so darn many here in central Kasas and they are good eatin'

I'd like to say hogs but as Swede 50 said they's illegal here.

There are three small groups of hogs around here and the powers that be want them to be illegal so people don't import any more from down south so they can hunt them. :youcrazy:

Good they get rid of the hogs as long as they still can. Finally the game departments are smartening up. They should also elevate the fines for illegal transplanting everywhere. Not just money,but mandatory jailtime. That puts this transplanting problem down for good. Few people risk going to jail for 1 year +, because they want to hunt hogs. The US native plants cannot withstand the rooting and it will ruin your corn farming belt pretty quick. We kill em where we see them.
With extensive corn farming starting about 10+ years ago in Germany, the wild boar population exploded as well. Mainly because of more food sources. Give them enough food sources and cover and you're in for trouble.....

I second TT statement!

It's a huge problem here - but the farmers are partial to it - because depending on the hunting lease contract the hunters will have to pay for the damage. Believe me the fun hunting hogs gets old quick when you have to put down serious money on top of the lease for the crop damage.

Actually the hunting strategy plays a role in the population management, too. But that's another story.

Silex

Back