• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

identifying rate of twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith T

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How can I tell what the rate of twist is in a Green Mountain Barrel?

The make of gun won't matter because it's a custom gun.

thanks

The rate of twist should be on the bottom of the barrel. Or at least they are on my Rice barrels so i would think they are on grn mt barrels. :grin:

Put a well lubricated patch on a cleaning jag and push it into the barrel so that the whole rod rotates with the twist. When seated at the breech, mark the cleaning rod at the muzzle and put a small register mark on the rod opposite the front sight. Pull the rod out until the register mark faces the bottom flat... exactly 1/2 turn, and then measure the length of the rod from the first mark to the muzzle. If its a 1 in 48 twist, you should have 24". Since most modern barrels are fairly uniform, this doesn't have to be exact...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a 54 caliber made some years ago by whoever crafted guns for Golden Age Arms. I'm sure it is barrel made for round balls.

Looking on Tracks site, it says 1:70.

I'm also seeing this:
"Our ”˜C' profile large caliber Golden Age barrel has a 1.062" breech, .812" waist, .875" muzzle."

I'm wondering if this "Golden Age" refers to the same Golden Age Arms I received my rifle from?

My 1994 Golden Age catalog shows the .54 cal. Green Mountain barrel with a 1:70 twist.
The .54 cal. Colerain barrel was a 1:56 twist

Keith T said:
I'm wondering if this "Golden Age" refers to the same Golden Age Arms I received my rifle from?

Nope, that's just a name Colerain placed on one of their styled "swamped" barrels.

Your barrel is either a straight or swamped :grin:

Back