• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identify BP revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtflatlander

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a BP revolver with brass frame and no top strap. I believe it is a Colt Navy replica. I can only find the following markings on the cylinder. From front of cylinder to nipple are the words "PATENT NPR A674." The NPR are very close together with the P and R partially on top of each other. Nipple side of cylinder is a partial Star in a partial circle with some type of Coat of Arms below it. Beside this is a Star in a circle with the letters PN below it. Along outer front edge of cylinder are the words "Engaged 10 May 1843." Around the cylinder are engraved either 3 or 4 Sailing Ships. I can not find a Name of manufacturer, date, caliber, or "Black Powder Only" marking on this pistol. I believe it may be a 36 Cal model. I don't have a way for pictures yet. I have stripped this pistol completely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Fred

I also forget to ask does anyone know what could be missing from the ramrod barrel catch. The rod wedge shaped catch and spring are there, but when I release the catch to use the ramrod the catch and spring come out of the rod. There is no hole for a lock pin and I can't figure out how else this part would be kept in the rod. Any ideas
Thanks
Fred

Flatlander1
We really don't need a photo of your gun to know what you have.

The gun will be either a .36 or a .44 caliber. If the outside of the cylinder is a straight cylinder it is a .36. If about 3/4 the distance from the front to the rear it suddenly steps down in diameter it is a .44.

The engravings on the cylinder were used by Colt to prevent forgery by other makers. Colt marked almost all of his guns with some sort of scene.
The "Engaged..." refers to a U.S./Mexico naval battle during the war with Mexico.

The PN, star and markings in the area indicate it was made in Italy and has passed its proof tests.

You may want to read the receant post in the Pistols forum about Brass Framed guns.
It pretty much covers the good the bad and the ugly with these guns.
For the most part I think that if you use moderate powder charges under a roundball of the right size you will have great fun safely shooting it.

As for the levers spring loaded catch it should have a pin that is pressed into the lever to contain the catch and spring. This pin is about 1/16 inch in diameter and the hole for it should go thru the lever from top to bottom about 1/16 from the end.
If no hole exists, with some careful drilling you could put one in and then press a little pin into it to contain the latch.

I think Zonie's very probably right about your gun.

You have what we call a 'defarbed' gun. The manufacturer's marks identifying the gun's origin, caliber, and the safety warning about black powder have been removed by a previous owner in an attempt to pretend the gun is an original Colt Civil War era gun. This practice is often done, in fact often required, by reenactors who place a great deal of value on duplicating as much as possible the exact characteristics of historical equipment and sundries at their events. Unfortunately, it leaves subsequent owners with little information to use in identifying their items.

The two proof stamps on the cylinder should also appear on the frame of the gun and on the barrel assembly. The frame should also have a proof date code - usually two upper case letters inside a square. The manufacturer's logo or name usually appears on the barrel assembly, sometimes under the loading lever. It seems all those features have been removed by a previous owner.

For an interesting discussion of the term 'farb', see this article.

The naval battle scene roll-engraved on the cylinders of Colt's Navy revolvers was not part of the War with Mexico, which was fought 1846-1848. The scene is the Texas Navy's victory of 1843.

"Farb" and "farby", I think, come from the German word farben, meaning "colored" or "colorful". Lots of farby things, especially uniforms, are chosen to make the wearer stand out from the crowd. That's why you see Mexican, French, Italian, Austrian, British and German "observers" at large events, for example; they're pretty much the epitome of "colorful". Ditto for artillery crews with flaming red shirts, braces, trim, etc., cavalry with so much yellow trim they look like a field of tulips, officers with enough gold lace to be spotted from orbit, and let's not even mention the Scarlett wannabees on the civilian side. Oy, gevalt, es meshugas. :youcrazy:

. july 19 / 03:50am

"Oy, gevalt, es meshugas." HA! HA! HA!

that's the first (and probably only) time i've ever seen yiddish-texan-english spoken in the same sentance.. only in america already !

With no date code or other markings it is a good chance that this is a "Kit" gun. Many kits of this revolvers were produced by several manufacturers and distributors.

Back