• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IBS interchangeability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backgear

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Quoting from a dealer of the IBS barrels;
“15/16" Octagon barrels fit the T/C 15/16" Hawken Pennsylvania Hunter & Carbine, Cabela's Hawken, Investarms Hawken, Lyman Trade Rifle, Lyman Deerstalker & Carbine, by adding an extra barrel lug it will fit the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.”
Disregarding the extra lug and under rib differences I assume that a new GPR barrel could be used on the T/C. Am I correct?
:confused:

The IBS has to have a little work done to fit each of the described guns, they aren't really justa drop in, usually some minor filing and fitting needs to be done.

The under lug is the big deal with what your talking about. The existing lugs need to be removed and a completely new lug needs to be installed in a place where no screw holes or dove tail exists.
Another issue is at the side of the breech plug by the nipple. Both TC and Lyman/Investarms have a section of the lug that fit's over the lock plate,,but the gap at the plug and the depth of that gap is different, so that needs to be filed to fit.

Soo,,"I assume that a new GPR barrel could be used on the T/C. Am I correct?"

Kinda, it can/could be done, not impossible, but there is some work involved for a proper fit.

I bought an IBS green mountain barrel from a forum member here. It was an older barrel, but new in box with everything that came in the box at that time. No, it did not just drop in, my TC 54 cal Hawken. From what I gather, Green Mountain did not put sights on the barrels in the begining. So I had to put sights on it, The lug had to be filed down so the ram rod could be removed. There was no ram rod retaining spring with the barrel. I got a new one from TC and had barrel rib drilled and tapped for it. The price was right, and I had the sights on hand already anyway. TC provided the ram rod retaining spring for free.

Back