• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IAB Marcheno 1859 Sharps - a little help?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a used IAB Marcheno 1859 Sharps recently. This is my first foray with a breechloader. I could use a little help from y’all smart folks.

1. Anyone know if Armi Sport, Chiapas or Pedersoli parts will fit?

2. I bought this for about $600 less than even the cheapest new Sharps reproduction I could find but I’m wondering if upgrades to a tang sight and /or double set trigger would be worth it for this gun. I don’t want to invest more than I can recover if I were ever to sell.

3. When fired there seems to be no gas leak at the breech so I suppose everything is working correctly, at least in that regard. (See below.). But I’m wondering just how these were constructed. There are no o-rings and I’m not sure that I understand the”floating” breech plate of the original. Did IAB replicate that design?

4. I do have one issue when I shoot: the breech block jams especially with larger (50+ grains) loads. A shot of Ballistol at the top edge will free it but it is most annoying. I have polished all mating surfaces and I lubricate with the same grease I use on other BP guns. Any insight, especially how to cure this would be appreciated.

5. Finally, I would also appreciate any general information about this gun. Was half the cost of a new Armi Sport too much to pay?

Y’all stay safe

I found a used IAB Marcheno 1859 Sharps recently. This is my first foray with a breechloader. I could use a little help from y’all smart folks.

1. Anyone know if Armi Sport, Chiapas or Pedersoli parts will fit?

2. I bought this for about $600 less than even the cheapest new Sharps reproduction I could find but I’m wondering if upgrades to a tang sight and /or double set trigger would be worth it for this gun. I don’t want to invest more than I can recover if I were ever to sell.

3. When fired there seems to be no gas leak at the breech so I suppose everything is working correctly, at least in that regard. (See below.). But I’m wondering just how these were constructed. There are no o-rings and I’m not sure that I understand the”floating” breech plate of the original. Did IAB replicate that design?

4. I do have one issue when I shoot: the breech block jams especially with larger (50+ grains) loads. A shot of Ballistol at the top edge will free it but it is most annoying. I have polished all mating surfaces and I lubricate with the same grease I use on other BP guns. Any insight, especially how to cure this would be appreciated.

5. Finally, I would also appreciate any general information about this gun. Was half the cost of a new Armi Sport too much to pay?

Y’all stay safe
You got it cheap because IAB is also know as "It's Always Broke". That said I own one, an 1874 "unmentionable" version that I found out I paid a couple of hundred bucks more than they're worth, live and learn. All that said I haven't had any problems with mine and as for replacement parts......... :dunno:
To fix the breech block issue someone else will have to chime in.

kje54, I read more positive than “it’s-always-broke” comments so I figured I could always re-sell if I wasn’t happy with it. It is still fun to shoot and I’m confident I can solve my issue. Anyway thanks for the reply.

kje54, I read more positive than “it’s-always-broke” comments so I figured I could always re-sell if I wasn’t happy with it. It is still fun to shoot and I’m confident I can solve my issue. Anyway thanks for the reply.
Like I said I have no problem with mine but was simply relaying what many call it and why they tend to be much cheaper than the other brands.

I shoot IAB in competition. Their cartridge guns are quite suspect but the percussion ones are capable of very good accuracy. I'll post pics when I get home

Soooo here's a couple pix of what both of my IAB Sharps can do. Yes, I have two of them. I shoot North South Skirmish competition and my 87yo dad is on our team and he likes the Sharps. In fact, it's his favorite carbine.-

Dad's Sharps-
sharpsgroup1.jpg

My Sharps-
sharpsgroup2.jpg

So the real issue with an IAB is in the cartridge gun realm but spares are pretty much slim pickins. VTI has some parts but many of the Pedersoli and Armisport parts can be made to fit with some filing and adjustment. They're not a straight drop in.

True story about my 87yo dad and his Sharps- at a regional Skirmish we had a novelty event at 25yds. Targets were 5 ping pong balls hanging on strings and 5 marbles hanging on strings shot offhand against a time limit. Dad center punched all the ping pong balls and got 4 of the 5 marbles. The rest of his squad (four guys) only managed 1 marble.

So about an IAB percussion Sharps. I wouldn't be afraid of one if it's in decent condition. I would have the breech block mod done from either Charlie Hahn or Larry Flees. Just who is your choice. Both of my Sharps were done by Larry and I'm completely satisfied with his work. My choice was easy since when I was needing to have the work done, Charlie was moving his shop and couldn't get to the guns for a while so he was out of the running for that reason only and I needed them back to start load work ups. I use Charlie's tubes. Load data for each gun is on the pic.

Dave, that’s purdy good shootin there Pard!

On your advice I called Charlie Hahn. He was complimentary of the IABs in general (good barrels) and quoted a very reasonable price to address my primary issues. I’ll be sending him the gun soon. Thanks!

Soooo here's a couple pix of what both of my IAB Sharps can do. Yes, I have two of them. I shoot North South Skirmish competition and my 87yo dad is on our team and he likes the Sharps. In fact, it's his favorite carbine.-

Dad's Sharps-
View attachment 64378

My Sharps-
View attachment 64379

So the real issue with an IAB is in the cartridge gun realm but spares are pretty much slim pickins. VTI has some parts but many of the Pedersoli and Armisport parts can be made to fit with some filing and adjustment. They're not a straight drop in.

True story about my 87yo dad and his Sharps- at a regional Skirmish we had a novelty event at 25yds. Targets were 5 ping pong balls hanging on strings and 5 marbles hanging on strings shot offhand against a time limit. Dad center punched all the ping pong balls and got 4 of the 5 marbles. The rest of his squad (four guys) only managed 1 marble.

So about an IAB percussion Sharps. I wouldn't be afraid of one if it's in decent condition. I would have the breech block mod done from either Charlie Hahn or Larry Flees. Just who is your choice. Both of my Sharps were done by Larry and I'm completely satisfied with his work. My choice was easy since when I was needing to have the work done, Charlie was moving his shop and couldn't get to the guns for a while so he was out of the running for that reason only and I needed them back to start load work ups. I use Charlie's tubes. Load data for each gun is on the pic.
Way to go Dad!

Way to go Dad!

Weeelllll, we had a novelty event at a recent skirmish where the targets at 25yds were 5 ping pong balls hanging on strings and 5 marbles hanging on strings. Dad nailed all the ping pong balls and 4 of the 5 marbles while the rest of his squad only managed one marble. Yup, he's in luv with that Sharps.

Can you shoot pyrodex pellets in the Ian instead of paper cartridges I have one that has never been fired I inherited from my father and know nothing about it but I have the caps and a box of preluded bullets and was thinking of stick a bullet in the chamber and a pellet of pyrodex and shooting it

Can you shoot pyrodex pellets in the Ian instead of paper cartridges I have one that has never been fired I inherited from my father and know nothing about it but I have the caps and a box of preluded bullets and was thinking of stick a bullet in the chamber and a pellet of pyrodex and shooting it
Not a good idea. Do some reading on how to load a Sharps. Paper cartridges aren't super hard to make. I use plain copier paper, not even nitrated.

The big problem I’m having it is finding anywhere that sells real black powder !every fun store I call just has pyrodex I do t know where to get it
If you want to use black powder these days, you probably won't be buying it at a local gun shop. Insurance and gov regulations have made it economically not viable as a product for the small shop to stock it on the off chance you'll visit to buy a pound or two.

Get to know local reenactors, join the NMLRA, or just get together with some friends to pool your order to amortize the shipping and hazmat costs.

I won't use pyrodex ever in any gun I care about.

Back