• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I wonder when Estes is going to sell BP to the public??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully all the Fudds won't max out their credit cards and buy every can of Goex up when it hits distributors

Honestly, even though I have access to Schuetzen , I'm becoming a huge fan of 777 for some of my revolvers. As long as there's something to burn , we'll be OK.

CCI getting caps out is a bigger concern for me

Hopefully all the Fudds won't max out their credit cards and buy every can of Goex up when it hits distributors

Honestly, even though I have access to Schuetzen , I'm becoming a huge fan of 777 for some of my revolvers. As long as there's something to burn , we'll be OK.

CCI getting caps out is a bigger concern for me
Your posts encouraged me to revisit T7. So far it’s encouraging. Cleanup is quick and easy, I can keep a 36 Remington running through a few cylinders without windex or anything else. Just load and shoot.

Your posts encouraged me to revisit T7. So far it’s encouraging. Cleanup is quick and easy, I can keep a 36 Remington running through a few cylinders without windex or anything else. Just load and shoot.
I honestly am loving 777 more and more . It's consistent and accurate .

I've been shooting pounds of this stuff a month ,I started buying it for rifles but it's become more of my favorite for revolvers recently

I have a healthy stock of Real Black but 777 really shines in my "medium frame" .36 and .44 revolvers

I put 100 rounds each through a pair of my Pietta .44 Navies using 777 "2f" and all I had to do was occasionally put a drop of liquid blackpowder patch lube on the arbor in front of the cylinder along with using lubed wads. But I have run them without wads with 777 too. No need to break guns down

777 is locally accessible and it burns clean, being an avid "unmentionable " Ruger revolver fan and as someone who often brings both cartridge and percussion thumb busters or DA's to the range, I've become an "impure purist" and 777 just lets me shoot more without fiddling with dirty guns.

It really is kind of a "semi smokeless"

The only thing is 777 leaves the chambers crustier aka "the crud ring" but it's nothing 5 minutes with a nylon brush at home after a range day won't fix

If you read that update just above, that ADK Bigfoot posted, the US Military is THE largest purchaser of black powdah. It is used as the core charge to detonate the shells in the large cannons and Howitzers, the 155mm where most of the stock in the world is headed to Ukraine.

As that article clearly points out, for the US it is a "sole source" provider plant ... ouch! As such, Estes made the decision to acquire it to keep their core bizness alive ... I certainly undertand that.

If you read that update just above, that ADK Bigfoot posted, the US Military is THE largest purchaser of black powdah. It is used as the core charge to detonate the shells in the large cannons and Howitzers, the 155mm where most of the stock in the world is headed to Ukraine.

As that article clearly points out, for the US it is a "sole source" provider plant ... ouch! As such, Estes made the decision to acquire it to keep their core bizness alive ... I certainly undertand that.
Thankfully we have Schuetzen

Also, recreational shooters are most likely a small % of their business and very avid shooters that use up 100s of pounds a year are a very very small %

The CEO seems very accessible and friendly but I'm sure he knows that the average civilian Goex buyer buys a few cans here and there and probably 1000 people shooting Hawkens don't equal a few 155 Artillery rounds worth of powder

I've been shooting pounds of this stuff a month ,I started buying it for rifles but it's become more of my favorite for revolvers recently

I have a healthy stock of Real Black but 777 really shines in my "medium frame" .36 and .44 revolvers

I put 100 rounds each through a pair of my Pietta .44 Navies using 777 "2f" and all I had to do was occasionally put a drop of liquid blackpowder patch lube on the arbor in front of the cylinder along with using lubed wads. But I have run them without wads with 777 too. No need to break guns down

777 is locally accessible and it burns clean, being an avid "unmentionable " Ruger revolver fan and as someone who often brings both cartridge and percussion thumb busters or DA's to the range, I've become an "impure purist" and 777 just lets me shoot more without fiddling with dirty guns.

The only thing is 777 leaves the chambers crustier aka "the crud ring" but it's nothing 5 minutes with a nylon brush at home after a range day won't fix
I may have to give in and get myself an Old Army, given that I pretty much got rid of everything non-Ruger in my handgun collection

I just got a Bearcat which is basically the Rugerized version of the old Colt or Remington pocket Rimfires so I might as well get the Rugerized 1858 Remington that seems like it's made for stuff like 777 and conicals

Number 2 is my big question. With the shortage, and all of us online talking about it, my big ole' gut tells me it will double what it was before.
It may well be, but I suspect Estes will survey the market and bring it in at market price. Now what the Retilers sell it for is another issue altogether. I am happily shooting Swiss but will support a US based manufacture for sure.

I’ve noticed a bit stiffer loading at times (loading bullets, balls load just fine)

I gave up on 777 in my Ruger Old Army and my Dad's old T/C Hawken. I forget why I didn't like it in the T/C....accuracy maybe....its been a while. However, in my ROA I could detect two distinct ignitions. Sorta like a poorly set up flintlock but not nearly as bad. But still it was there and noticeable. Given your experience with 777 maybe you can explain what I was observing. My only guess is I was hearing the cap after which 777 ignited.

As far as shooting cap and ball revolvers using BP, I have no problem firing my ROA "all day" without cleaning any part of the gun. Usable accuracy exists for as long as I am shooting. Typically I shoot 6-8 cylinders at informal targets while roaming around the desert. As an aside I surely don't waste caps "clearing out nipples" at any stage of my shooting. Some literature recommends doing that.

Reason for trying 777 in the ROA I was told I could get higher velocities. Out of curiosity I compared 777 to 3F Swiss. 35grs by volume of both powders.
777 958-1021 mean 990 6 shots 3 F Swiss 1049-1087 mean 1070 12 shots 2F Swiss 961-1002 mean 984 6 shots. Maybe compressed 777 would have been higher....no idea. Test was 20 May 2013.

I gave up on 777 in my Ruger Old Army and my Dad's old T/C Hawken. I forget why I didn't like it in the T/C....accuracy maybe....its been a while. However, in my ROA I could detect two distinct ignitions. Sorta like a poorly set up flintlock but not nearly as bad. But still it was there and noticeable. Given your experience with 777 maybe you can explain what I was observing. My only guess is I was hearing the cap after which 777 ignited.

As far as shooting cap and ball revolvers using BP, I have no problem firing my ROA "all day" without cleaning any part of the gun. Usable accuracy exists for as long as I am shooting. Typically I shoot 6-8 cylinders at informal targets while roaming around the desert. As an aside I surely don't waste caps "clearing out nipples" at any stage of my shooting. Some literature recommends doing that.

Reason for trying 777 in the ROA I was told I could get higher velocities. Out of curiosity I compared 777 to 3F Swiss. 35grs by volume of both powders.
777 958-1021 mean 990 6 shots 3 F Swiss 1049-1087 mean 1070 12 shots 2F Swiss 961-1002 mean 984 6 shots. Maybe compressed 777 would have been higher....no idea. Test was 20 May 2013.
The nipples were probably bad? Or the 777 was compressed TOO much. I compress it but my 30 grain charge and a wad doesn't need to be forced. 777 doesn't seem to like high compression when loaded. This is why 777 is popular for cartridges, it needs just a firm seating , not a crushing.

I've used the stock nipples for a couple 100 and the SlixShots for 100s more, with CCI #11 non-magnums and 777 2f

I've never had anything but instant ignition with 777 in my revolvers

In my Zouave that I used 777 in , a few times I had the boomBOOM ignition and I was most likely packing the Minie too tight on the 777

The nipples were probably bad? Or the 777 was compressed TOO much. I compress it but my 30 grain charge and a wad doesn't need to be forced. 777 doesn't seem to like high compression when loaded. This is why 777 is popular for cartridges, it needs just a firm seating , not a crushing.

I've used the stock nipples for a couple 100 and the SlixShots for 100s more, with CCI #11 non-magnums and 777 2f

I've never had anything but instant ignition with 777 in my revolvers

In my Zouave that I used 777 in , a few times I had the boomBOOM ignition and I was most likely packing the Minie too tight on the 777
Nipple malfunction seems possible. I was using TRESCO (? is that it). Excellent one for BP and all my C&B revolvers have them. But maybe not good for 777. Based on your experience compression seems like a good theory as well. Thanks.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I seem to recall the Clements .50 conversions in ROAs was set up for 777 and it was supposed to be compressed. I could have that backward. (Too lazy to look it up at the moment). Anyway would dearly love to have a Clements .50.

Thanks again.

My "thing" is to encourage manufacturers to keep producing items I need/like by buying that item whether I need it at the time or not. No manufacturer is going to continue to keep producing anything that doesn't make a profit, doesn't turn over, and that's just basic truth.

Like many on here, I have more than enough caps, primers, powders, etc. to last a long time. So, when caps showed up (in albeit limited quantity and higher than normal price), I bought some.

My son was a product manager for RCBS. I wanted a .58 minie mold which they had recently deleted from their product line. Why? Because there wasn't enough demand to keep making them. Money talks.

Latest posts

Back