• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I want to make a pair of shooting sticks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh0456

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some ideas on making some but I'd like to hear from you guys that have made them. Photos too if you have them.

I know I can buy them but I'd rather make it. I suppose the thing I'm really confused at is what can I use as short spikes in the end to put it in the ground? Nails?

Thanks in advance!

You can buy large spikes at any ACE hardware store. Cut off the heads, drill an appropriate size hole in the ends of your sticks and epoxy the spikes in place. Easy-Peasy. :thumbsup:

Billnpatti said:
You can buy large spikes at any ACE hardware store. Cut off the heads, drill an appropriate size hole in the ends of your sticks and epoxy the spikes in place. Easy-Peasy. :thumbsup:

Of course Easy Peasy! I always put way to much thought into a project.... :hmm:

Thank you!

What I have found that I like better on the newest set that I made is those cheap aluminum tent pegs that have the little plastic ears to put your rope around. Cut the top off same as a steel spike. They won't rust and are somewhat lighter.

I just used 1"X2" pieces with a 1/4" bolt through them about 4" to 6" down from the top. Nothing fancy. I cut the ends to points. If you plan to use in competition, check the rules. Nails for points and other gimmiks are usually prohibited. If for fun or hunting, concrete nails with heads cut off are excellent. You can add leather or cloth to protect the rifle to suit your needs.

I just used 1"X2" pieces with a 1/4" bolt through them about 4" to 6" down from the top. Nothing fancy. I cut the ends to points.

Same here, except 1"x1" oak from a scrap pallet.

Rifleman1776 said:
I just used 1"X2" pieces with a 1/4" bolt through them about 4" to 6" down from the top. Nothing fancy. I cut the ends to points. If you plan to use in competition, check the rules. Nails for points and other gimmiks are usually prohibited. If for fun or hunting, concrete nails with heads cut off are excellent. You can add leather or cloth to protect the rifle to suit your needs.

ahhh.... ok so I'll have to check that. Mostly this is for fun but there may be some competition involved as well.

Take two solid branches about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in dia. and bore a hole with a screw driver (the screw driver in your shooting bag)
Then run a piece of leather thong about 2 foot long through it and wrap tight enough to give you the right amount of play to separate them to rest your gun on.
That's the way Liver eaten Johnson taught me.

I made a set from regular old hardware store wood dowels. I used regular craft dept. leather thong to lash them together and went up the ends where the rifle sits, sharpened the ends to a point with a pocket knife, stained them and applied a coat of Truoil. Very lite, easy to carry, and great to shoot off of! I use them for coyote hunting and also turkey hunting with modern guns. They are a blessing with long barreled smokepoles with barrels longer than about 36".

I have made several set, the ones I use the most are made from Osage Orange, bolt with a wing nut on it a few adjustment holes, spikes are 1/4 bolts with the heads cut off and points ground in.
Leather glued to the face of the wood.

Works great.

Fleener

I have one made from a hockey stick. The blade is cut off and it is cut in half long ways. Has a big rubber band wrapped several turns around the two pieces. I just slide the band up and down the sticks to adjust for height. Never needed anything to stick in the ground.

I've made several pair for midrange competition both short prone sticks and longer seated stick shooting.
The best I've seen made had oak limbs and spikes made of half or three quarter inch angle iron cut off at a sharp angle.
The angle iron will penetrate the hardest dirt and holds the sticks upright far better than round spikes do.
They are also far easier to attach to the corner of the oak limb rectangular shape and are just as strong if not stronger than round spikes glued into the center bottom of the limbs unless copper wire wound to keep then from splitting out.

You didn't say what caliber your shooting, but I just lashed 54 cal. ramrod blanks together to use as my shooting sticks for my 54 Cal.

:idunno: Seems like it can't hurt to have extra ramrod blanks with you while your out on the hunt.

Yeah, Spence, I really like your shooting sticks. They are easy to make, simple in design and effective in operation. Dandy sticks. :thumbsup:

I have found for hunting purposes that a hiking staff works just about as good as toting two extra sticks along and when you have a moose quarter on your back the staff becomes invaluable to stay on your feet.

Sean Gadhar said:
You didn't say what caliber your shooting, but I just lashed 54 cal. ramrod blanks together to use as my shooting sticks for my 54 Cal.

:idunno: Seems like it can't hurt to have extra ramrod blanks with you while your out on the hunt.

I'm shooting a .32 cal with about a 42" barrel. I'm getting lots of ideas here... so thanks to all! Now I just need to get up off my duff and make a pair. :grin:

Latest posts

Back