• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I think I hooked a buddy!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend and co-worker of mine stopped by a few days ago for a visit. After a couple of iced teas in the shade of the porch, the conversation turned to my trip to Friendship. This lead to a "show and tell" session, with me dragging out one muzzleloader after the other for his perusal and a brief description from me.

Of the rifles he handled, he kept a "Tennessee" rifle on his lap for an unusual amount of time. I asked which of the rifles he liked the most. He didn't hesitate making his pick. He half-jokingly mentioned that we ought to shoot it. That's all I needed to hear and in minutes I had the rifle loaded and my bag over my shoulder.

He asked if muzzleloaders kicked much and I said "naw, just in Hollywood" (loaded 50 grains under the prb). We went over a few basics regarding the double set triggers and so forth.

He took a bead on a 4" swinger at 35 yards though I urged him to shoot at a 12" gong at the same distance. You might guess that his first shot with a flinter was a bulls eye, and , you would not be mistaken. If only you could have seen his face and the way he kept studying the lines of the graceful rifle after this.

Longer story shorter... we shot the rifle for the next couple of hours until he noticed he was really late for supper with his wife.

The next morning he called with more questions than an adolescent (he's 56 years young). The one that I really loved to hear was "what would you recommend I get for my first muzzleloader, and remember, it has to have a flint lock"? :thumbsup:

Then it was my turn to mimic a kid, smiling ear to ear as though I heard the ice cream truck coming. :wink:

I think he's "hooked" pretty good! Once I help get him his own rifle, he'll be in the boat!:haha:

Skychief.

bwa ha ha ha ... another one turned to the dark side!

Well done- and a rockbanger right off the start to boot!

:thumbsup: :hatsoff: :applause: Should be in response to SkyChief way to go! Like MSW said another one turned to the dark side!

You're in the Captain's Double-Dog Dare Contest for sure! :thumbsup:

Congrats to you both, and what a great story!

Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Ya did good..Now don't forget to get him on this forum...fer his eddyjumakshun, so he kin bee lerned tu ewz his nu shootin iron...

God Bless

Lee

Ah, another has crossed over to the dark side....

Way to go. I am still working on a couple friends of mine. Sooner or later they will come around. Figure it will only take one shot to get them hooked. Just a matter of talking them into taking that first shot.

CaptainKirk said:
You are now in for an official 100 points. If he buys a gun or kit, you get the extra 50. Get him over here asking questions and get another 25!!!
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/254020/[/quote]

Great idea CaptainKirk!

Now I understand Smokin50's post. I thought Smokin50 had been smokin' something other than his 50! :youcrazy: :haha: Now I see. :thumbsup:

I hope a lot more guys chum the waters...we need new recruits.

Skychief.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's O-K, no need to be sorry. Didn't know that you weren't around when the Capt. started that thread!

The only thing I was smokin yesterday was my Walker, my Trade Rifle and a couple nice CIGARS from my son (Father's Day present) :haha: :rotf: and a good time was had to be sure!

Dave

You will probably be named in the divorce papers. One you get a married man addicted to flint the only way to save the marriage is to get his wife a small gun of her own! :idunno: :idunno:

Back