• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need a nudge...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm undecided whether or not to put a "halo" of silver around this inlay. I'm thinking I probably should leave it as is but can't decide. What do you think?

srcheekpiece2.jpg

What do I think? I think a brass spike in the side of the face will hurt like hell! :rotf:
In all seriousness, the wire "halo" around the inlay may really depend on what color you intend to stain the stock. Silver just might not look right. Rick

I think a silver halo or even brass will really set that off. Cut a test piece out of colored plastic and lay it around it if you have any doubts. Show us a picture whatever you decide. :winking:

As much of a fan of ornamentation as I normally am, I think it would look better as it is. Once the wood is stained dark, I think it will make a nice "picture frame" around that bright inlay and it will stand out nicely on it's own. I can't wait to see pics when it's finished!

I would have to agree with Plink. the "frame" concept would look outstanding!
an ivory look against gunstock is something out of the norm!

Brett

Swamp Rat said:
Hmm well the stain will be Nitrate of Iron.
hmmmmmmm, okay is that the same stain ya used on my--- yer buddies lefty gun last month? if so, I think the silver would look great! course I may be under the influence of beargrease...RC :confused:

I think that a silver border around the inlay would look outstanding against the dark stain. Good job!
Scott

I printed the pic and cut out the inlay. Glued it to my gun stock. Looks pretty dang good. I would say with out. :hmm: Beautiful inlay. :hatsoff:

What is the rest of the furniture?

I think that yellow brass would be a good contrast while the silver might be lost in the white. Unless of course, the rest is German silver.

As always, it is your gun and needs to please you.

CS

I'd like to suggest that you skip the "halo". It looks nice as it is and if you take it hunting in freezing weather, your cheek will not get stuck to the stock :rotf: Please excuse me but what do you have sticking out of your stock between the trigger guard and toe plate? Is that a pick of some kind?

David Hoffman said:
what do you have sticking out of your stock between the trigger guard and toe plate?
I'm bettin sling holder.....or attachment fer his 2x4 gun rest...so he don't drop the gun when he takes a pic...either that or it's somethin to do with[url] fermentin...waitin[/url] fer the stock to bubble... :confused: RC :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
SR - Have you worked on the rifle any more? Just curious to see if you have an update?

wess

Sorry, I have not done a thing since I inletted the oval. Got a few things here taking up my time and trying to hunt too. Kinda figure finishing this gun over the winter as of now.

Latest posts

Back