• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have a dilemma

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk434

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, I have been having a reallly big itch to buy a Civil war era .58 rifle. The minne ball has always fascinated me at it's stopping power and how purdy it looks. :) I have narrowed down my choices to either a 3-band Enfield or an 1863 Zouave. So, what are ya'lls opinions about both of them. Which one would you say that I should get. How are the trigger pulls on both of them and how are the front sights. Thanks.

mk434: Take this with a grain of salt. IMHO the Enfield is a better looking and better performing rifle besides fitting in with the Civil War reactors. I have heard little about the Enfields in reguards to accuracy and sighting in problems. The Zoaves seem to be picky in what they want to shoot and some people never get them to work. The only Zoaves I have been around seem to be a pain to work up any loads. The Enfields seems to shoot just about anything. It has to do with the rifling and the depth of the grooves I think. Now I'll say .58's are fun guns to shoot and as you said they pack a punch. Be careful as the punch can be on the back side if you load heavy. Others may have a different opinion but I would get the Enfield if possible.
It's a fun gun and a good hunting gun as well.
Fox :thumbsup:

And I, for more than the sake of argument, will go the other way.

Zouaves are far more comfortable for the typical American shooter, as the stock comb has greater drop and thus puts one's face in better "natural" alignment with the sights. Enfields have higher combs, requiring either that you burrow your cheek into the wood, or try to line your face up much further back on the stock than most people find practicable.

Further, the Zouave that my son shoots in the N-SSA, with its Numrich Arms barrel, takes 37 grians of 3f and turns it into cloverleafs printed with a Lyman 575213 old style bullet at 50 yards.

My best advice is, heft both rifles repeatedly. See if your face fits the Enfield stock. I'd almost bet it won't. Zouaves are generally well-made, generally accurate and generally less expensive than Enfields.

As far as triggers and sights, you'll need some custom work whichever way you go. Makers seem to like 12-pound trigger pulls, and repro sights all leave minies printing high and (generally) left.

If you find you like this minie-shooting thing, drop on by the N-SSA web site (link in the links section of this bb) and see what it is we do with these CW muzzlestuffers. I haven't yet seen the sport to match it. :blue: :grey: :imo:

So there is no way to manually adjust the trigger pull?? I have a .50 Kentucky pistol and I can increase or decrease the trigger pull. How much would it be to get some custom work done on it then??

Back