• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I found an original...please help with info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
almost looks sort of like pine done in a walnut stain

The break in the front of the lock kinda says "cherry" to me. Of course, very hard to determine from the pics and probably equally hard in person.
However, if it is cherry, I advise extreme caution and gentleness in handling. I make some custom items for people from wood that has family heritage significance to them. I have had some 200 year old cherry and quickly learned that it can crumble into dust if you look at it cross-eyed. (almost :wink: ) I now won't work with old cherry unless the client allows me to stabilize first. So, any disassembly on that nice rifle could be disastrous.
BTW, I'm nowhere near as expert as others here but it sure does look like a flint to perc. conversion to me.

Amikee said:
Hello

To my friend's shop someone brought an original looking rifle.
It looks like a Pennsylvania style in about .45 cal with deeeeep groves, and working C. Bird Company Philadelphia lock which is working. It's a conversion to percussion. Has a nice engraved patchbox with hidden release and overal is in nice condition. The ramrod is broken and the stock is broken at wrist but it's not showing very much. On the barrel are marks L F. Wood has no major dings or scratches. No chipping. Bore is in need of cleaning and the rifle was not test fired. Looks like a small job to do. Brass is pretty. Only lock shows rusty face but looks like a matter of polishing as no major pitting was found. Great project rifle with working operational lock. Anyone has any ideas who the builder may be? We're also looking to price it out, so if someone knows how much could it be worth we'd strongly appreciate this. Thank You

Unless you are very knowledgeable in Knetucky rifles and their restoration leave it as found.
American collectors are not fond of "cleaned" guns.
It is not a shooter in any event. Note that it was likely converted from Flintlock back in the day as almost all were. It needs to be examined by someone who has expertise in the field before ANYTHING is done.

Dan

I would also point out that the rifle may have been originally flint and was restocked and converted to percussion at the same time. Broken stocks were very common.
Thus the stock and side plate may be replacements OR the original lock was junked and a good flintlock was converted and installed to replace it.
There are many possibilities here.

Dan

I got this month's issue of Muzzle Blasts today. James B. Whisker's monthly report on Notable Antique Guns shows a photo of a rifle much like yours. The patchbox is close, the front of it being very close and the hammer looks something like the one on your gun. The comb is about the same height as your gun. All that being said, the two guns are NOT identical but it may help narrow locations a bit. The subject rifle was made by William Sink, pre-1830. He worked in Centre Townsip, PA or at least that is what Mr. Whisker surmises. There are more inlays on the article gun, they are fancier too and the wrist is thicker. There is a wear plate on the forearm of the gun. Any way, if you can get hold of a copy take a look. I would try to scan it but the photos in the article are apparently scans and I doubt I could get anything with enough quality to help you.

The wood is maple and rifle comes from Huntington, PA. LF on the barrel are just this, two letters in cursive. I can't take pictures as president of KRA, Mr Gabel came down to my house in CT and bought it. We both were very happy.
Thank You all for help.

Here we are, myself with KRA President Mr. Ron G Gabel and this wonderful piece.

It was very special meeting. During his trip home he found the time to stop by my house in CT and get the rifle. Living encyclopedia of the longrifles. Very happy day

Back