• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I found 5 of Dad's C&B Revolvers...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all.

Have a ROA stainless & T/C Hawken that I've had for years - still un-fired but hope to soon. I have a nipple wrench, anti-seize, etc.
As far as grease, I have some automotive synthetic stuff, it's used on tool box casters, auto door hinges, etc. Olive oil for salad dressing also. :)

The Graf & Sons black arrived the other day. Have dealt with them before, great company.

Bob
p.s. found Dad's B.P. Plano tackle boxes; one marked rifle the other pistol. We'll see...
I agree olive oil is for food, notice on the bottle the expiration date. Gun oils and grease is better and the revolvers will work perfectly with them.

Hi Zug,

I have a quart of acetone, will it work o.k. as a solvent? I'm soaking some partially
painted screws from a '60s Centuri LIA-77 launch pad in a small jar of acetone; the juice
clouded up over night-so far so good.
Bob

Biggest challenge is killing the mold and verdigris. Once it has developed it is very difficult to keep off. Some Ren-Wax will help remove it and breathe new life into the leather.

Hi Zug,

I have a quart of acetone, will it work o.k. as a solvent? I'm soaking some partially
painted screws from a '60s Centuri LIA-77 launch pad in a small jar of acetone; the juice
clouded up over night-so far so good.
Bob
Acetone works better as a solvent when mixed in equal parts with Automatic Transmission Fluid.

You lucky guy! I wish my dad had been half interested as I am in guns of any sort. I'm the only one on all 4 generations still alive in the family who has an interest in anything that goes boom. I'd cherish those souvenirs. Who knows, maybe some day one of your kids will inherit of those BPs.

Pretty much can just a wow to the above. Nice. Xmas came early.

As for shooting and the ball size, .454 would be the minimum for those guns generally. You should get a good seal with that size. .451 has been found to be the upper area chain fires start. That is sans lube over the ball.

My wife gave me her ASP 1858 Remington, it had .457 balls with it. A bit of a lesson there, the chambers are tapered. No lead ring but it has a good seal with .454 balls. No idea what size they were recommending back then.

I have put various size balls in the cylinders and then tapped them back out to confirm a seal and no oval.

From what I have see playing with bought treated wads they look to make a good flame arrestor (I was testing .451 balls an put them on top of the ball then removed them as the chamber came up for the next firing position). You could see blast marks but nothing got close to all the way.

No question its my take on the ball size and chain fire. I am tending to using wads behind the bullet as it seems to help the accuracy a bit but still testing that.

To do it right I should shoot one series of 6 and then brush the cylinder and repeat with the brush job each 6. Then average it out over a number of cylinders as I am a variable as well even hand rested.

Latest posts

Back