• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I FINALLY shot my Woodsrunner for the first time!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Frontstuffer070

The wince should go away after shooting it a bit. Just keep your fingers away from the pan when it goes off and you’ll be fine.

It was a painful learning experience for me, and I was left with a souvenir reminder of the experience.

A moment of inattention was an eye opener, for sure. I hold with my left hand further up the stock now and get good results.

View attachment 321933

View attachment 321935
OUCH!! That looks very painful. GREAT lesson and reminder for us Newbies. I caught myself yesterday wanting to putt my hand back there on the stock near the pan and I quickly thought better of it and moved my hand forward. This is a different animal all together, I even have to remember where I shoot at the gun club to protect anyone to my right from that blast of hot gas out the vent. On second thought maybe I will position myself to the left of those young black rifle shooters down there who constantly throw hot brass cases my way.

I'm afraid as low as mine was hitting today, there won't be much front sight left if I have to file that much. I may just order the tall rear anyway its not that expensive. I need a few other do dads from Kibler anyway.
Allways need do dads. I carry an extra flint, cleaning jag and ear plugs in that patch box.
That way I know that I didn't leave them home. Also extras in the shooting bag.

I never shot mine until about a week ago 50 cal and I put the taller rear Kibler sight on mine left the front sight alone it shoots point of aim with a 495 ball .018 patch and Im happy with the results. Took it out again today and was ringing steel with it quite often. I havent shot flint in a little over a year and did better today than last week Target is from
IMG_0199 Large.jpeg
last week at 25 yards

Last edited:
Been there.
I also had to get a new sight for my Woodsrunner as it was low.
It in .54 with .018 patch, mink oil and 100 grains of FF Swiss is the most consistently accurate of my 3 flintlocks.
Don’t take anyone’s advice on the perfect load. Your barrel will decide for you. It took several days of range trips to figure that out.

Back