• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I can get as much of this as I want, is it lead?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I’m going to get it all. We have four now and 4 more when the new robots come in and we get them changed out. Probably 4-6 months with cargo transportation right now. I got 3 of them one my car hauler with pallets under them. That what I won’t cut into my trailer
With others comments on breaking down such huge pieces of lead... I could see standing by your trailer with a sawzall thinking.. "We're going to need a bigger boat" ala the movie, Jaws.

The chips from a chainsaw would be easier to sweep up for sure.

Consider making a documentary of how you manage it. Might make a good searchable tutorial for when another one of us has a similar bit of good fortune.

Use a hand held staple gun like a T50. If you bury a 3/8ths staple it's pretty much pure.
Yeah, and the old thing where you scratch it with a fingernail; if you can score it, it's probably pure. I can't imagine have half ton of lead, but wow! Will be fun to hear, keep us informed what you do with it! (I think lead is going for $2./lb.? Maybe more now.)

I don't see any way you could ever go wrong on this deal . I'd buy it for .25 per pound even if it was zinc as it was at $1.34 a pound last I checked . You got a great deal and probably a lifetime supply for your muzzleloaders . Buy a few pigs of type metal to mix in and you will be good for anything you want to cast for the fast shooters . Congratulations .

I've cut up a lot of lead in a lifetime but if I were presented with that much in that form I would haul it to the scrap yard, sell it and use the $$ to buy new pure clean lead in 1# ingots. You would still have a lot of lead and no work involved.
Due to the fact these are cast weights I would say they are lead. To be an alloy they would have to batch their product before casting to get the exact weight needed witch is critical. It is so much easier to do the math when you deal with solid numbers that you already have.

Watched a YT video of a guy cutting up a huge lead keel from a sailing ship restoration, using a medium sized chain saw. He remarked at how easy it was.

We are scraping several robots at work and I can buy the counter weights at 25cent a lbs. boss said he can give me a hell of a deal if I take all 8 of them. Probably about $100 a piece. As he just needs the rest of the employees to see me pay something. They are 922lbs each and seem to be lead. Any way to test them. The scrapings melt quickly. All told it’s just under 4 tons for a couple hundred bucks.
BUY BUY BUY

Yeah but did he mention how many chains he went through doing it? I'm sure he destroyed the chainsaw doing it.

I highly doubt that. You just touch a running chain to the dirt, and it's trashed. I can't see how it could survive a material as dense as lead without being dulled to the point of uselessness.

Long story short is a chainsaw works really well. Doesn’t even dull the chain.
07E2E08E-F537-47B4-8634-B09207BA2089.jpeg

Had a friend that was tearing down micro wave towers with pure lead shielding in them. . He was cutting the lead with a circular saw with the blade installed backwards. Said it worked well. I got some of the lead...........OH YEA........... super Soft , would wilt if sheet held out flat.

You lucky lucky… I’m happy for you, this is the score of a lifetime. You are now set with lead for the rest of your shooting career. Powder, primers, caps can all be acquired or made.

Latest posts

Back