• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I built my first gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EliTheBee

32 Cal
Reaction score
I know it isn't amazing and that it has flaws but I like it and it is my first blackpowder gun I have ever owned. I had a blast putting it together.

It is a Traditions Trapper Pistol. I haven't put the sights on yet because I can't find my small metal file to shave it down a little, since they are just to big to go in. But I will put them in when I find the file.
20220822_163329.jpg

slick looking piece. you did a nice job on that one! what is next? it's addicting you know.
I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking about getting a flintlock next but I dont know if I'll get a kit or just buy one outright. I need to actually get some blackpowder though and fire this baby. My local store only had 2F and 4F right now and I have heard that pistol generally need 3F.

And your right I can already feel the addiction setting in haha

Awesome! I built my first one when I was about 14 years old. It was a Philidelphia derringer and it took me a lot of years later to build my next one, then another with a fourth one sitting under my couch ready to be built. Have fun and enjoy.

I know it isn't amazing and that it has flaws but I like it and it is my first blackpowder gun I have ever owned. I had a blast putting it together.

It is a Traditions Trapper Pistol. I haven't put the sights on yet because I can't find my small metal file to shave it down a little, since they are just to big to go in. But I will put them in when I find the file.
View attachment 157711

View attachment 157711

WTG! Don't get carried away on sight base removal. You want em snug! NOW, ya got to make a pistol loading stand. It is soooooooo much easier to load with a nice stand. Keep us posted on how she shoots.
Larry

WTG! Don't get carried away on sight base removal. You want em snug! NOW, ya got to make a pistol loading stand. It is soooooooo much easier to load with a nice stand. Keep us posted on how she shoots.
Larry
Congratulations on your nice build! But, as said, be very careful with your filing. Get a bronze or brass wedge, tapered to fit the base of your sight. Then you can tap it in and adjust as needed.

Larry
I forgot to reply but I wanted to say that I love this gun. It shot to the left quite a bit but after adjusting the sights it is now pretty accurate. I enjoy going outside every few days and firing it for a while then going in for the day and cleaning the whole thing top to bottom.

It is definitely becoming an addiction. I have already picked out other muzzleloaders that I would like to get, when I have the money to afford them haha

I forgot to reply but I wanted to say that I love this gun. It shot to the left quite a bit but after adjusting the sights it is now pretty accurate. I enjoy going outside every few days and firing it for a while then going in for the day and cleaning the whole thing top to bottom.

It is definitely becoming an addiction. I have already picked out other muzzleloaders that I would like to get, when I have the money to afford them haha
be careful if you are married with the addiction. my bride of 54 years figured up what i spent this last year on BP toys and announced she was spending a like amount. there is a new Ford Escape sitting in the garage today!

Ok , now you have it finished , take it out and blast some stuff , just for the fun of it. If it's smooth bore , put equal amt.'s powder and shot , w/ a wad between the shot and powder w/ another wad on top of the shot , and see if that has value to you. Patch r/b's are fun too. I urge you to use the pistol.

You are starting down a dark path but a fun one. Get some bp smoke into your lungs and the hook will be firmly set. Then, there is little chance for escape from the addiction. Next will be a more advanced kit or a pile of loose parts. Finish that and the addiction grows even more. 🤔I speak from experience. 😁
I love the smell of the bp smoke. Right now I'm gonna try and save up for a 1777 Charleville Musket but I am enjoying shooting my pistol every other day or so. Luckily for me my wife enjoys going out an shooting it with me. So it is also a nice way to spend time together

The Cville is brought out on occasion. I switch between shooting roundball, buck and ball and birdshot. 70 grains FFg under each load. I have several longrifles to choose from, so I try to rotate shooting them all.
The Charleville has been with me during the reenactment of General Washington crossing the Delaware river on Christmas morning.

I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking about getting a flintlock next but I dont know if I'll get a kit or just buy one outright. I need to actually get some blackpowder though and fire this baby. My local store only had 2F and 4F right now and I have heard that pistol generally need 3F.

And your right I can already feel the addiction setting in haha
Nice job. 2Fg will work just fine in your pistol.

Back