• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I am totally…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many people ignoring the “politics”, is why we have the problems we now have. Ostrich people piss me off!
Hi Bob! Haven't heard from you in awhile. I'm over at Buckskins & Black Powder forum also. How's the weather up there?
Stan

Don't know if this will help at all but I live in South Africa and muzzleloading supplies can be incredibly short on the ground here. There are maybe five places in the whole country that stock tiny amounts of supplies and most of the time they don't have anything in stock. When they do, they gouge you. Getting caps is a major problem but there is an easy way around this that works perfectly every time. It has never failed me and in fact in the hunting field is my choice rather than #11 caps that have on occasions given the ominous "click" at the most inopportune moments.
I am not with my muzzleloaders or a vernier so I can't give you exact measurements but they are easy to establish. You will need a piece of plastic pipe (tube?), the inside diameter of which fits snuggly over the nipple. Something like aquarium pipe or thin pipe for garden irrigation is what I use. Cut this into lengths that are slightly longer than the distance from the base of the nipple to the top. Push this over the nipple -- it should be a tight fit -- and press a small pistol or small rifle primer into the tube so it sits up firm and flush against the top of the nipple over the flash hole. The primer base should sit against the top of the nipple and the top of the primer should be slightly higher than the tube so the hammer can strike it without interference. The purpose of the tube is solely to hold the primer against the nipple.
Fire as normal. I have shot hundreds of these with real black powder and a local substitute powder that was once available but no longer is and have never had a failure to fire. I use the system on pigeon hunts when the birds are flying in their thousands over sunflower and maize fields and the shooting is fast and furious.
I have used the Magspark system but it is a PITA because the 209 shotgun primers stick solidly in the adapter and are a real problem to get out.
I make up a couple of hundred "tube primers" at a time and take them with me in airgun pellet tins. I hope this is of some use to someone.
That is good info thx for sharing

Don't know if this will help at all but I live in South Africa and muzzleloading supplies can be incredibly short on the ground here. There are maybe five places in the whole country that stock tiny amounts of supplies and most of the time they don't have anything in stock. When they do, they gouge you. Getting caps is a major problem but there is an easy way around this that works perfectly every time. It has never failed me and in fact in the hunting field is my choice rather than #11 caps that have on occasions given the ominous "click" at the most inopportune moments.
I am not with my muzzleloaders or a vernier so I can't give you exact measurements but they are easy to establish. You will need a piece of plastic pipe (tube?), the inside diameter of which fits snuggly over the nipple. Something like aquarium pipe or thin pipe for garden irrigation is what I use. Cut this into lengths that are slightly longer than the distance from the base of the nipple to the top. Push this over the nipple -- it should be a tight fit -- and press a small pistol or small rifle primer into the tube so it sits up firm and flush against the top of the nipple over the flash hole. The primer base should sit against the top of the nipple and the top of the primer should be slightly higher than the tube so the hammer can strike it without interference. The purpose of the tube is solely to hold the primer against the nipple.
Fire as normal. I have shot hundreds of these with real black powder and a local substitute powder that was once available but no longer is and have never had a failure to fire. I use the system on pigeon hunts when the birds are flying in their thousands over sunflower and maize fields and the shooting is fast and furious.
I have used the Magspark system but it is a PITA because the 209 shotgun primers stick solidly in the adapter and are a real problem to get out.
I make up a couple of hundred "tube primers" at a time and take them with me in airgun pellet tins. I hope this is of some use to someone.
You may seem to have saved the day! Great idea. Small pistol primers have been in short supply but I recently heard that is changing for the better. Thanks for sharing!

A lot of 'what I heard' is repeated in this country with not a trace of evidence or even a source and its almost never to make things better. I am going to be very surprised if we all learn that the scarcity and rising cost of powder and primers is the result of unspecified but certainly nefarious government agencies stockpiling massive amounts of weapons and ammunition for unspecified but certainly nefarious reasons...as opposed to the same causes that impact supply and the cost of food, postage stamps, clothes, land,
Where there’s smoke there is fire; in today’s environment with everything censored into oblivion you have to dig. The irs being armed is no secret. You can go on the government website and see for your self what different agencies are spending our money on or being funded to purchase. You might be surprised. But you got to dig.
The Remington UMC factory shutdown I don’t know the details as to why and don’t care. But I do know for almost a year most Small caliber ammo made by UMC was off the shelf.

If using small pistol primers with fish tank hose works and from the sound of that method it does I think there is going to be a lot of happy members

🇺🇸

You may seem to have saved the day! Great idea. Small pistol primers have been in short supply but I recently heard that is changing for the better. Thanks for sharing!
You know, it's funny, if you go to some of the online auctions, there are thousand upon thousands of small & large pistol primers, and small and large rifle primers. However, most are going for over $20/hundred!! One guy that works at Bass Pro told me he had over 200,000 rounds of .22 bullets. When they come in, I believe employees may take a big bite out of ammo at the big box stores. Doesn't really effect me, we stocked up for years under Bush & Trump.

Some are so blind about what is happening around them. You speak the truth friend. We have served our Country proudly and will defend her against all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
I still stand by my Oath that I took upon being inducted into the Army. Even though a Draftee, I went willingly, tried my best, and am grateful for the experience it offered.

I posted a question today; are percussion caps OK after 50-60 years if in original packaging? Ten tins in paper wrap w/ Winchester label but no zip code, so they pre-date 1964. Would they be OK? Have brief chance at them at $50 for thousand, don't want to waste money on duds! Thanks!:)

Too many people ignoring the “politics”, is why we have the problems we now have. Ostrich people piss me off!
So not discussing them outside of the American Politics portion of the forum is not "ignoring". One does not need to automatically delve every conversational exchange into modern politics to avoid "ignoring" the reality of life.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back