• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I am totally…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do have two rifles that use #11 caps and one that uses musket caps I very rarely ever shoot any of them. Some years ago I ordered 1000 CCI #11 magnums and already had some #11s & #10s I bought back in the 1960s. There are also a couple of tins of musket caps from that era to which I added a few hundred more just a few years ago. So before the shortage I managed to accumulate a small stock of caps that should last me for a very long time. It was all luck since I didn't foresee the shortages.

Couple years ago I bought one of them cap making kits, haven’t had to use it yet because caps trickle in faster than I can shoot them.
Then again I’m in a club so we have lots of tentacles snapping up what we need.
I’m pretty sure supplies are harder to get in California than Texas, but I still won’t leave the country if I run out. Mexico don’t want me, maybe Canada but they have same supply issues we do, plus, unlike the US they have requirements for citizenship so as not to put a drain on society.
Then again, a free ride to Martha’s Vineyard would be nice!

Couple years ago I bought one of them cap making kits, haven’t had to use it yet because caps trickle in faster than I can shoot them.
Then again I’m in a club so we have lots of tentacles snapping up what we need.
I’m pretty sure supplies are harder to get in California than Texas, but I still won’t leave the country if I run out. Mexico don’t want me, maybe Canada but they have same supply issues we do, plus, unlike the US they have requirements for citizenship so as not to put a drain on society.
Then again, a free ride to Martha’s Vineyard would be nice!
We have the cap making kit also. Works very well. However, we do have a really good supply on hand. That being said, we always picked up some when we hit the sporting goods stores anyway.
What you say is very true though!!

Wow, where has improvisation gone?
1beer can
2small stick
3Roll of red paper caps
4Piece of wood with hole that corresponds to nipple and small stick
5pinch fine pow-der
There an endless supply of caps

Wow, where has improvisation gone?
1beer can
2small stick
3Roll of red paper caps
4Piece of wood with hole that corresponds to nipple and small stick
5pinch fine pow-der
There an endless supply of caps
Exactly=Improvise-Adapt & Overcome!

Unfortunately politics affects everything and always has. To deny or ignore this fact is to willfully stick your head in the sand and therefore be part of the problem. In the days of range wars there was a saying " if you straddle/ride the fence you get a sore crotch.

I was told that the Remingtons I bought at my local shop were made by CCI as Remington is closing their factory in New York state to build one elsewhere in the US. A Google search of CCI says they're located in Lewiston, Idaho. Are you saying all their goods are made overseas?

Walt
Remington just reopened there small arms ammo. caps like 9mm all disappeared at the same time. what surprised me is no one knew that they had some type of issue with the facility. I saw an article somewhere showing UMC ammunition on pallets ready for shipping must have been in guns American. Apparently caps have taken off the priority list I think. It’s going to take a long time for things to get back to normal in most industries in my opinion

Went to the gun show this last weekend, there were some musket caps, triple 7 and pyrodex but that was all as far as BP was concerned ...not a BP long gun anywhere in the bldg! A few BP revolvers, that's all.

What I heard recently and it’s no part of the 87000 armed irs agents but all the other agencies along with the large military contracts they awarded to Winchester for small arms ammunition. So the government is doing a lot of hoarding it seems and we know they are not using it for defense of the southern boarder.
A lot of 'what I heard' is repeated in this country with not a trace of evidence or even a source and its almost never to make things better. I am going to be very surprised if we all learn that the scarcity and rising cost of powder and primers is the result of unspecified but certainly nefarious government agencies stockpiling massive amounts of weapons and ammunition for unspecified but certainly nefarious reasons...as opposed to the same causes that impact supply and the cost of food, postage stamps, clothes, land, etc.

Don't know if this will help at all but I live in South Africa and muzzleloading supplies can be incredibly short on the ground here. There are maybe five places in the whole country that stock tiny amounts of supplies and most of the time they don't have anything in stock. When they do, they gouge you. Getting caps is a major problem but there is an easy way around this that works perfectly every time. It has never failed me and in fact in the hunting field is my choice rather than #11 caps that have on occasions given the ominous "click" at the most inopportune moments.
I am not with my muzzleloaders or a vernier so I can't give you exact measurements but they are easy to establish. You will need a piece of plastic pipe (tube?), the inside diameter of which fits snuggly over the nipple. Something like aquarium pipe or thin pipe for garden irrigation is what I use. Cut this into lengths that are slightly longer than the distance from the base of the nipple to the top. Push this over the nipple -- it should be a tight fit -- and press a small pistol or small rifle primer into the tube so it sits up firm and flush against the top of the nipple over the flash hole. The primer base should sit against the top of the nipple and the top of the primer should be slightly higher than the tube so the hammer can strike it without interference. The purpose of the tube is solely to hold the primer against the nipple.
Fire as normal. I have shot hundreds of these with real black powder and a local substitute powder that was once available but no longer is and have never had a failure to fire. I use the system on pigeon hunts when the birds are flying in their thousands over sunflower and maize fields and the shooting is fast and furious.
I have used the Magspark system but it is a PITA because the 209 shotgun primers stick solidly in the adapter and are a real problem to get out.
I make up a couple of hundred "tube primers" at a time and take them with me in airgun pellet tins. I hope this is of some use to someone.

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help at all but I live in South Africa and muzzleloading supplies can be incredibly short on the ground here. There are maybe five places in the whole country that stock tiny amounts of supplies and most of the time they don't have anything in stock. When they do, they gouge you. Getting caps is a major problem but there is an easy way around this that works perfectly every time. It has never failed me and in fact in the hunting field is my choice rather than #11 caps that have on occasions given the ominous "click" at the most inopportune moments.
I am not with my muzzleloaders or a vernier so I can't give you exact measurements but they are easy to establish. You will need a piece of plastic pipe (tube?), the inside diameter of which fits snuggly over the nipple. Something like aquarium pipe or thin pipe for garden irrigation is what I use. Cut this into lengths that are slightly longer than the distance from the base of the nipple to the top. Push this over the nipple -- it should be a tight fit -- and press a small pistol or small rifle primer into the tube so it sits up firm and flush against the top of the nipple over the flash hole. The primer base should sit against the top of the nipple and the top of the primer should be slightly higher than the tube so the hammer can strike it without interference. The purpose of the tube is solely to hold the primer against the nipple.
Fire as normal. I have shot hundreds of these with real black powder and a local substitute powder that was once available but no longer is and have never had a failure to fire. I use the system on pigeon hunts when the birds are flying in their thousands over sunflower and maize fields and the shooting is fast and furious.
I have used the Magspark system but it is a PITA because the 209 shotgun primers stick solidly in the adapter and are a real problem to get out.
I make up a couple of hundred "tube primers" at a time and take them with me in airgun pellet tins. I hope this is of some use to someone.
What a Great idea! One more option

I spent enough years in the military in service of 'this country' whereby I can say anything I want! I could go into a very lengthy discussion to rebut you Old Hawkeye but the forum doesn't need this! You have a good day sir!
Old Hawkeye, might just be Old Grouch:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back