• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting with glasses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well..........I'm different. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes: I have worn glasses since age 10 and have never had a fogging problem when hunting. The problem comes when going inside a warm house from the cold. Yes, I'm sure glinting off the lenses can be an alert to deer but I don't know an alternative. As for getting cataract surgery, it is a miracle procedure. I have had both eyes done but glasses are (usually) still needed.

Thanks guys for all the helpful suggestions, I'll try some.
Using an anti-fog gel yesterday, helped some but in still air, my hot breath goes up to the lenses. If there's a bit of breeze, they're fine.
Yes, I do worry about flashes of reflected light. In bright sun, I can take the glasses off and still focus on sights. In less light, need the glasses.
Can't wear contacts. Maybe lazik surgery someday.
I'll try some of the home-brew anti-fog ideas.
Good luck all!
J

I try to post with the sun at my back and if that’s not possible I pull my hat down far enough that the bill shades my face, no sun flashes off the glasses.

I'm an optometrist. The anti-fog wipes and sprays do work rather well, but have to be reapplied.
Nearly any prescription can be fitted in contacts, so if a doctor told you that your prescription won't work with contacts, then see a better optometrist. If you have some physical problem with your eyes, like very dry eyes, eyelids don't function properly, have significant cataracts, etc., then contacts may not provide adequate vision or comfort.
You could also wear a CPAP mask or use about a 3/4 inch diameter piece of clear plastic tubing and breath out through that. Having it long enough to go into your coat could help to keep you warm too.

Worn glasses most of my life. Contacts will not work for me due to reasons in the aforementioned post. The way I have gotten around fogging up glasses is by cutting out a hole over where my mouth is and extending the face mask down below my nose IF/When my glasses do fog up.

Another option to consider is this. You don't have to wear a face mask and you can still stay fairly warm. In very cold temps -30* or so, I have worn what I call a Hoakie Hat. The kind that folds up and fastens on top of the hat and can be lowered and snapped around the side of the head covering the ears and half of the face. Some folks call them trapper style hats and are often used in Alaska. These work quite well especially if/when engaging in physical work where one is exhaling quite hard.

Regardless of what style of face mask or hat I choose to wear, I also ware a neck gator. By pure accident I learned just how awesome those are at helping one stay warm.

Glasses are a pain for sure. But there are ways to help alleviate some of the issues.

Lifetime eye glass wearer. As mentioned, be sure not to cover your nose....keep a bit of ventilation around your face. When you go to use your scope, what is most effective for me is to simply slow down your breathing/gently hold your breath and dont linger at the scope. The longer it is up to your eye the better chance of it fogging....even just the evaporation from your face will do it if the scopeglasses is in place long enough...and keep your lenses clean.

Back