• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drago

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Which sights do you prefer for hunting, I am getting a .54 Renegade ready to hunt hogs in a couple of weeks and will appreciate the input.

The stock T/C sights with a little white paint,white-out,or nail polish added to the round "bead" part on top of the front blade works great for me in fading light.

For hunting I use the factory sights but I put white paint on the front sight. I wipe it with a solvent so it will stick. I usee sprat paint well shaken and sprayed in the cap and applied with a tooth pick. If the sun hits it it makes the shot easier. If it's in the shade it's about the the same as black. I have never considered fiber optic except on my bow! Geo. T.

I am not really interested if fiber-optic just the easiest to sight with on a hunt

First off, because of my middle age eyes I have found that I need to shoot at least a 32 inch barrel and I use blade front and square notch rear with the rear notch cut wider to allow 1 1/2 times the amount of light, as the width of the front blade, on either side of the front sight as viewed through the rear sight. In addition I put stripe of glow in the dark paint on the front sight and two dots on the rear sight. The paint doesn’t interfere with sighting in bright sunlight and gives a good undisruptive view of the sight in low light.

I think personal preference is the most important factor when deciding on which sights to use for hunting. There is no best sight, only what's best, or "feels right" for you. The only way to determine what's best for you is to try different styles of sights, see what you like. Myself, I also prefer the partridge style sight for hunting. If I had to vote for worst, it would be the buckhorn sight.

Light conditions are a factor when discussing front sighs. I think most shooters prefer a silver blade, as it collects the light and is easy to see. I can't use a shiney blade in my neck of the woods, as it makes a blinding glare in the high desert sunlight. I prefer a dark, non-glare front blade for a crisp sight picture.

Try different sights and see what appeals to you. Bill

Hey Drago !!!

Shot a lot of Pig's (I like Pork BBQ) in Tex/Mex, back in the Day !!! Just some advice...
Carry a large hand gun (357 mag. or larger).. If your using a BPSS, ya only got one shot..
Don't ever get out of the Vehicle ...
Don't ever believe their dead, (put one in their head) ...
Take your limit and get out of there.. They are mean & nasty.

Good Luck and Merry X-mas...

Ed...

I agree the Lyman peep sights is fast becoming my favorite sight for hunting and target work as well. The TC peep is good for just hunting. A TC fiber optic front sight isn't all bad and you can see it.

I can hardly see the end of the rifle. I put a Leupold 3x9-40 on my Renegade. Now I can see what I'm shooting at.

Hi All !!!

The sad part of growing old is that most of us loose our vision.. We must be able to at least see the front sight!!! For that, I would recommend a prescription lens, for shooting only...
I know this will draw some flack, but we also need to consider our hunting choice and stick to the smaller animal's, least you become the "hunted" and not the hunter....

Ed.....

Yeah I will be 68 next week and I know exactly what you mean about the eye sight! I had my eyes checked Wednesday and the young lady doctor assured me that my right eye was bad enough that I needed glasses for everything! As if I needed to hear that as I have worn eye glasses since 1956.

There are a couple of things that I have found to be helpfull. One widen the notch in the rear sight until you can see light on both sides of the front sight in rather dim light. In my case it wasn't all that much. Also painting a bright contrasting color on the front sights upper area.

I figure the chances of being in a car wreack in rout is better than a hog getting me so I'll consider them fair game. I hope you get a few! Geo. T.

I like the peep sight for hunting and target work. A blade and square notch like what I have on my TC Seneca is also good with my eye sight. When hunting I change out the appeture for one with a larger size hole. The Williams twilight apperture with a .125 - .150 hole works for me. Keep your hunting apperture in you cap box on the rifle.

Put on a T/C hunter peep. It takes any of williams inserts and extends the line of sight by a foot or more.

+1 on the TC hunter peep sight, though you'll probably have to win an online auction to get one. The aperture sight has the advantage of sharpening fading eyesight. With a fiber optic front sight, they're next best to a scope.

I'm 67 and have them on all the muzzleloaders I hunt with.

The Lyman is good too, but is somewhat big and clunky compared to the TC hunter version.

Back