• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh ... They were effective enough for hundreds of years before breech loading scatterguns and smokeless powder shot shells were invented.

Even today, shot shell boxes still give the old "BP equivalent" load in drams of powder.
Really? My impression of most waterfowl shooting during the original muzzleloading era is that there was very little shooting of "high flying" anything. In fact flock shooting sitting waterfowl is mentioned quite often.

Really? My impression of most waterfowl shooting during the original muzzleloading era is that there was very little shooting of "high flying" anything. In fact flock shooting sitting waterfowl is mentioned quite often.
Only the market/professional "hunters" used punt guns to shoot flocks on the ground or water.
Everyone else used a regular shotgun of 4 to 12 guage with the same techniques used today.

Yes. More has been written about the market/peofessional "hunters" and their escapades than farmer Fred's or office worker Eugene's waterfowl hunting.

Also at this time over in Britian and Europe the Gentry were hunting waterfowl. For the most part, they were not shooting flocks on the ground or water, but in the air.
(I'm sure some did shoot at birds that were not flying as well, just as some around the world do today.)

Only the market/professional "hunters" used punt guns to shoot flocks on the ground or water.
Everyone else used a regular shotgun of 4 to 12 guage with the same techniques used today.

Yes. More has been written about the market/peofessional "hunters" and their escapades than farmer Fred's or office worker Eugene's waterfowl hunting.

Also at this time over in Britian and Europe the Gentry were hunting waterfowl. For the most part, they were not shooting flocks on the ground or water, but in the air.
(I'm sure some did shoot at birds that were not flying as well, just as some around the world do today.)

Totally agree with Old Guy most of fowling was with the large bore guns from 8 to 10 bore the 4 and the 6 bore was mostly for the high birds and the smaller for decoying and the 10 bore for ducks . Enclosed is a image of my big bore guns and a bank gun and punt gun the latter two I never used but the others I shot many greylags but then came the law banning the use of lead shot over wetlands so now these guns are no longer used .
Feltwad
Pension Off

Last edited:
Screw "the gentry."

The guns in the image were mostly built for wildfowlers who made a living out of shooting fowl for the town market. These guns along with the punt guns were known {as tools of the trade} and not for the gentry because very few gentry of that period shot. It was done by their gamekeepers to supply game for the big house.
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back