• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting loads and blown patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
howdy folks,
got my 50 cal investarms shooting good with a 65gr 2ff pyro and a 245 gr ball-ett,dead on out to 75 yds.the question,is this load ethical for hunting deer size animals.the max load for this gun is 80 gr for a conical bullet.

also while i was working up a load for round balls i could not get a good group at 75 yds with a load of 60 gr or higher with out a blown patch.i was using a 490 rd ball and a .015 oxe yoke patch.does any one know a good comboe for a 50 cal investarms with a max load of 90 gr 2ff for rd balls and cure for a blown patch.

thanks a greenhorn :confused: :confused:

grizz50cal said:
howdy folks,
got my 50 cal investarms shooting good with a 65gr 2ff pyro and a 245 gr ball-ett,dead on out to 75 yds.the question,is this load ethical for hunting deer size animals.the max load for this gun is 80 gr for a conical bullet.

also while i was working up a load for round balls i could not get a good group at 75 yds with a load of 60 gr or higher with out a blown patch.i was using a 490 rd ball and a .015 oxe yoke patch.does any one know a good comboe for a 50 cal investarms with a max load of 90 gr 2ff for rd balls and cure for a blown patch.

thanks a greenhorn :confused: :confused:

One of two easy things to try that should fix your blown patch would be:
1) Try a thicker .018" lubed pillow ticking patch
2) Or use something as a firewall over the powder...either seat a spare lubed patch down on the powder first, or use an Oxyoke prelubed wad over the powder that is actually made for this purpose.

Either approach to creating a firewall usually fixes this type of blown patch problem...

what size wade should i look for,i have looked for 50 cal wades but cant find them in any of my resorces
thanks the grizz

Ronnie,
Stop by Field and Stream or the Outdoorsman,they had some the last time I was in there but it was last year.Just go to HEB and pick up some Cream of Wheat.It will be cheaper in the long run.
Greg

grizz50cal said:
what size wade should i look for,i have looked for 50 cal wades but cant find them in any of my resorces
thanks the grizz

You might check The Possible Shop advertiser at the top of the forum.

Also, FWIW, I actually use the next larger size caliber wad...ie: .58cal wads in a .54cal; .54cal wads in a .50cal, etc. The oversized wads don't just drop in, you have to start them flat in the muzzle then seat them down.

But as I mentioned, a convenient alternative is to just use a spare patch as a firewall...lay a spare across the muzzle and poke it into the muzzle so it puckers up all around the edges as it goes in, then seat that patch down...all that extra material puckered up around the edges is exactly where you want the added protection...along the edges of the ball.
Then just seat your patched ball as you normally would.

Test fire in a place that does not have any of your previously burned patchs on the ground so there's no confusion...and this time, each shot should produce a pair of fairly clean decent looking patches

Patch inspection and examination is fine and much can be learned from it, many time folks wonder what or how to do this or that to keep patches from burning, when I look at the patches I also look at the target If I have a good tight group I don't really think it makes much difference what the patches look like, point is don't look to put a perfect looking used patch above a tight group when looking at priorities.

Like roundball, I use the Ox-Yoke Wonder Wads and like Swamp Rat, I get them at Track of the Wolf :thumbsup: .

grizz50cal said:
the oxyoke patches are pre lubed with wonderlube 1000
thanks the grizz
I suspect the patches you used were old.
Sometimes these pre lubed patches sit on a shelf for a long time and that will allow the oils i the lube to break down the strength of the cotton fibers.
Blown patches resulting from this will never give good accuracy.

Try some non lubricated oxyoke patches or other 100 percent cotton material and lube it as you shoot.
I'm betting the accuracy goes way up. :)

I used 90 grs. in my .50 Investarms with conicals. Have used 100. 110 blows the hammer back to half cock.

you are sure the patches are blown not torn or cut? A new gun has sharp rifling. If they are still blown after an op wad etc yep it is cutting.

got my 50 cal investarms shooting good with a 65gr 2ff pyro and a 245 gr ball-ett,dead on out to 75 yds.the question,is this load ethical for hunting deer size animals.

That should be just fine. I took one deer with 60 gr ff and a .490 ball at about 60 yards and it dropped on the spot.

I used 90 grs. in my .50 Investarms with conicals. Have used 100. 110 blows the hammer back to half cock.

It only takes about 50 shots or so of heavy loads under heavy conicals to burn out the flash hole in your nipple. I had the same exp with my TC .50 shooting 370 gr maxi balls over 100 grains of ff.

The guys who shoot slug guns competitively use a platinum lined nipple to resist the gas erosion. They are pricey! I think around 45 or 50 bucks apiece. :shocked2:

For consitencey you should change out the nipple before it blows the hammer back. Also easier on your lock! :)

Zonie said:
I suspect the patches you used were old.

Zonie, you have got to stop thinking your fish bowl is a crystal ball :grin:
I'm still grabbing a bag of prelubed patches every now and then from a big volume purchase I made way back in the mid 90's...maybe it depends on the type of lube...but I've never had a problem with Oxyoke's Natural Lube 1000 patches, and that includes all the labels contracted by Oxyoke like T/C, CVA, Traditions, Remington, etc.
Maybe some of those home made brew formulas we see posted from time to time?

"but I've never had a problem with Oxyoke's Natural Lube 1000 patches"
-----
Congratulations to you.
I have personally had problems with old Ox Yoke pre lubed patches that I bought at a local gun store so I guess that makes one for, one against.

Mine were also purchased in the early '90s.

hey greg,
i filed some more on the site and was able to get a good site picture out to 75 yds off the bench :thumbsup: .i think i am still going to send you a s.a.r.e. so i can look at the t/c site.be talking to you soon

thanks the grizz

hey zonie ,
i suspect you are may be right.not much activity in the local stores for muzzeloader supplies since texas done away with our muzzeloader deer season :( :( .i am going to try a few of the remidies i have read and will let ya'll know how this works out.

thanks the grizz

marmotslayer said:
It only takes about 50 shots or so of heavy loads under heavy conicals to burn out the flash hole in your nipple.

For consitencey you should change out the nipple before it blows the hammer back. Also easier on your lock! :)

That's funny right there. :rotf: I used the same nipple for over 20 years and never fired a round ball out of it. Yeah, it needed changing out when I swapped barrels to a .54 but it blew the hammer to half cock when it was new so I kept my charges to 100 grs. or less.

Back