• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Going to work up a hunting load for my 50 caliber Kentucky pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sparky

40 Cal
Reaction score
I recently picked up a new Traditions 50 cal Kentucky pistol. Even though I enjoy shooting my 44 revolvers I wanted something that was legal to deer hunt with in Pennsylvania. The maximum recommended powder load is 45 grains of powder and a patched round ball. I am casting my own balls and I am pretty pleased with the penetration I get with 2x4s. I have ordered a chronograph to make sure my velocity will be good I also ordered a REAL bullet mold in 250 gr. I currently use 35 grains of Triple 7 with the patched round ball and it seems plenty powerful for close deer hunting. I would just love to hear some opinions on the 250 grain bullet versus round ball. I am aware of limitations of the stock I am considering making a barrel band for it even though I'm not planning on exceeding the maximum load. I guess the chronograph will be the final answer as to whether or not this thing will be a Humane hunting instrument.

While I don't doubt that a .50" pistol can kill a Whitetail, the key word here is "humanely".
Whitetails are tough critters for what they are.
I've heard of folks using big .44" Dragoons to harvest deer.
Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a muzzleloading pistol only.
Ymmv.

I recently picked up a new Traditions 50 cal Kentucky pistol. Even though I enjoy shooting my 44 revolvers I wanted something that was legal to deer hunt with in Pennsylvania. The maximum recommended powder load is 45 grains of powder and a patched round ball. I am casting my own balls and I am pretty pleased with the penetration I get with 2x4s. I have ordered a chronograph to make sure my velocity will be good I also ordered a REAL bullet mold in 250 gr. I currently use 35 grains of Triple 7 with the patched round ball and it seems plenty powerful for close deer hunting. I would just love to hear some opinions on the 250 grain bullet versus round ball. I am aware of limitations of the stock I am considering making a barrel band for it even though I'm not planning on exceeding the maximum load. I guess the chronograph will be the final answer as to whether or not this thing will be a Humane hunting instrument.
Is that legal in PA? Using a pistol for deer, I mean.

I agree with post #2.

Unless you're a dedicated handgun hunting superfreak with many handgun Bambi kills under your belt, save the pistol for target practice.

And it doesn't take a chronograph to tell a person something they already know.

I suspect a Kentucky load is right in line with a .45ACP round.

Not fit for killing deer humanely.

Your gun can kill Bambi IF you keep it in close range. We are talking bow hunting ranges. 30 yards and closer, the closer the better.
At least 35-45 grains to do it right for sure. If you can get an accurate load with a solid powder load it can be done, it has been done in the past.

Now I would only take my .50 pistol hunting in a situation where the range is limited and the brush makes carrying a full rifle a pita.

Might be better to take a short barrel carbine.

I agree with post #2.

Unless you're a dedicated handgun hunting superfreak with many handgun Bambi kills under your belt, save the pistol for target practice.

And it doesn't take a chronograph to tell a person something they already know.

Not fit for killing deer humanely.
Well I don't already know what the velocity will be. I don't want to be inhumane. I'm talking about 15 yd standing broadside shot type of thing. I have a great hunting spot where I get very close to them but I have to hike up an absolutely monstrous Hill to get there and then I got to drag the thing back while encumbered with a heavy rifle. I thought I would try to lighten the load. There's actually quite a lack of data on the internet as far as the velocity you can get from that type of pistol. I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'm not sure what would be any more inhumane about taking out both lungs or the heart with a 50 caliber ball anymore than it would be inhumane with an arrow at 300 ft per second. If the consensus is it just doesn't have the penetration for that then I'll use it for target practice.

Not fit for killing deer humanely
Already done it, 66 paces, no worries. I used the 220gr flat points I cast for the old army. It wàs my second longest handgun shot out of about a dozen deer. Longest was with the old army, 75-80 paces. They work every bit as well as my modern magnums, IF THE BULLET GOES IN THE RIGHT SPOT. This is key.
Keep it to where you can hit a grapefruit using field positions, no bench. Get some!

I have a Pedersoli .50 flint pistol. It’s a nice pistol, I enjoy shooting it. But there is no way in God’s Green Earth that I would try to take a Whitetail with it unless I was starving and it was the last weapon I had. The odds of making a humane kill are between slim and none.

I would be curious how much of that 45 grs. of powder can properly burn in a pistol barrel.
I have only worked my way up to 35 grains so far. It seems to be burning in the barrel so far there is no big Flash. I'm going to guess part of a 45 grain load would probably burn outside the barrel. It seems with the pistol that having a tight fitting ball and Patch combination really helps get the pressure up in the barrel. I noticed when I used a thinner patch The Recoil was considerably less and the bullet was hitting low. I ran out of black powder and started experimenting with triple seven that I had on hand. The triple seven seems more consistent. The only problem is it is 2f. I'm thinking 3F would be better as far as getting it all to burn in the barrel. The only thing I've determined so far is that a tight fitting ball patch combination is crucial. With 35 grains of 2f XXX the ball easily penetrates two 2x4s and a 1 in thick plank at 15 yards.

While I don't doubt that a .50" pistol can kill a Whitetail, the key word here is "humanely".
Whitetails are tough critters for what they are.
I've heard of folks using big .44" Dragoons to harvest deer.
Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a muzzleloading pistol only.
Ymmv.
I would have to limit myself to about 20 yards standing broadside shot. I butcher my own deer and I can tell you that as long as you don't hit the shoulder blade There is almost nothing to stop a ball passing through the rib cage and both lungs. Right now I am getting 3 inch groups at 45 paces.

I have a Pedersoli .50 flint pistol. It’s a nice pistol, I enjoy shooting it. But there is no way in God’s Green Earth that I would try to take a Whitetail with it unless I was starving and it was the last weapon I had. The odds of making a humane kill are between slim and none.
My pistol is a cap lock. And I'm getting very good accuracy. This would have to be Early Muzzleloader season when everyone else is using inlines.

In theory, a single shot bp pistol is legal in NY. In that line of thought, I obtained a .54 Lyman GP pistol. I gave it up when I quickly realized I was never going to get the accuracy that I would expect from my rifles or centerfire pistols even at a very limited range for an ethical shot.

In theory, a single shot bp pistol is legal in NY. In that line of thought, I obtained a .54 Lyman GP pistol. I gave it up when I quickly realized I was never going to get the accuracy that I would expect from my rifles or centerfire pistols even at a very limited range for an ethical shot.
Maybe you gave up too soon. I'm getting quite good accuracy.

TDM, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then you are behaving like a true sportsman. But what you feel are your limitations doesn't transfer to others. I've been a serious handgun hunter for 35 years, with the emphasis on serious. I shoot year round, and I push myself to shoot well using field positions. It's a big commitment that I take serious. Not bragging, but my limits are a little further than most. You do you and let me do me.

Right now I am getting 3 inch groups at 45 paces
If you can shoot like that in the field under hunting conditions, your good to shoot critters to 45 paces. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL

Back