• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunt alone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have not hunted in ten years or so, next season will mark my return and i will hunt with my 7 year old grandson. i had a good huntin pard for quite a few years, we got along good, have simular sense of humor and have known each other for about 35 years but he got tired of people stealing stands and walking over him and left to hunt a lease so for the last few years i hunted i hunted alone 99.9%of the time. i wanted my brother to hunt with me but he didnt very often, we have very little in common other than our parents and sister even though there is only 18 mnths between us and we did everything together until high school. we dont see or talk very often but last i knew he was huntin alone to. he came and got both of my bows last year or the year before, guess i need to see if he used them and if he made groceries.

creek

From early on in northern Minnesota I hunted alone....there wasn't anybody else around. Do I like hunting alone? Yes and no....during the actual hunt it's definitely solo, but coming back to a nice warm camp and exchanging the day's experiences w/ my buddies is a very pleasant time.

I've solo hiked into wilderness areas w/ my camp on my back and spent nearly 2 weeks MLer elk hunting w/o seeing another person....had the time of my life. Why?...not because I didn't see anyone, but because it was enjoyable "being w/ myself" and in a way, testing myself as to whether I could actually "cut it". Which I surely did. Will have to admit though that being alone in the Zirkel Wilderness Area for 2 weeks does have it's mental stresses...seeing most people are social beings.

Which do I prefer? Definitely having a camp w/ my buddies and doing the solo hunting.....Fred

I can't remember when I hunted with others. Never seem to be on the same wave length with other guys regarding hunting. This year I am considering I might be giving up hunting altogether. Being alone does have it's hazards and last year dragging the deer out of the woods, uphill all the way, nearly did me in.

My last extended hunt was 6 yrs ago when I was 73 yrs old. I was in my camp 39 days in the MT wilds by my self except for 4 nights when friends visited. I never felt unsafe. One camp about 4 miles from mine had several hunters over about 4 days. One of those guys said to me "you sure are one tough SOB". I almost always hunt alone still at 79.

Whether one chooses to hunt alone somewhat depends on the game that's being hunted. Although I have hunted solo for elk in a wilderness area, getting that meat out would have been a long, hard chore of more than nine miles. Same goes for a big buck. Small game isn't a problem....Fred

I am either with a driving party of 25 people or hunting alone. I like it both ways but I really like to hunt alone.

I almost always hunt the same same piece of property when hunting alone and the drag would not be over a mile or so. I never push myself too hard when dragging and I wouldn't be afraid to go for help if I needed it. I don't get much time to hunt anymore but I still really look forward to it and the meals the deer provides.

Experiences with others have rarely been good even though they may be friends. Some will give up on a stand after ten minutes and want to drive somewhere else, others start the day drinking a six pack, some just never stop talking, etc.
The quiet and solitude with nature is a big part of the hunt in my view. Can't do that with a loud talking drunk that takes a dump two feet from yer stand.

I have had the best experiences hunting from a camp of other like-minded hunters, but spending all day hunting solo in the back-country of Colorado. That, to me, is the best of both worlds. I hunt much stealthier and have way more encounters with wildlife on a solo hunt, but having someone in camp that you can swap stories with is awesome.

Stumpkiller said:
In the past 25 years I have hunted alone except on very few occasions. Not by choice, really. I just seem to "out endure" my hunting buddies.

Same here, my past hunting buddies usually packed it in much too early.

Don't mind having company when in camp for the comraderi and chores, also appreciate the help when game is down...but when it comes time to hunt....it's alone...unless I have a grandchild along and I'm teaching them! Have to agree....much easier gettin close to game with only 2 feet instead a 4 feet! This icon :slap: explains perfectly what happens when hunter's partner up!

Though I mostly hunt alone I don't worry about dragging out game. I have an imaginary friend, Bazuzu, from when I was a kid and he's always been around. I call on him if and when I need help. :shake: :td:

I hunt alone most of the time .
Grandson goes with when he can, and that is lots
of fun .

I've hunted alone and with my brothers. At 51 the only place I hunt alone is on my older brothers land (40 acres) and the 40 acres next to it. And I've quit climbing into stands.

When I'm hunting moose, I always like to have a young fellow or two around to do the bull work. (I know, bad pun). And, they like to take me along cause they think I know stuff.

Paul

During muzzle loader season and gun season my hunting buddy comes over and the two of us walk out together and each walk to our own stand for the day. Meet up at dark and walk back to the truck together. I'll be 65 next month, but still climb up into stands, just not as high as when I was 18.

I hunt alone now that my brothers live in Colorado. The fact that I am almost 60 and had a couple of discs replaced last year makes me much more thoughtful about shooting at a critter that I would have to pack out myself. I passed on my only shot at a buck during the recent muzzleloader season because he was below me on a 90 percent or steeper slope in brush and blowdowns. Where I enjoy company is when hunting in eastern Oregon in the wide-open sage and juniper country. It's pretty easy to keep track of a partner a half mile away, and if you hear a shot, you can go help out. Prefer a partner when hunting birds -- and of course a dog. Squills are another matter.

Back