• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Hudson Bay Dag Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runewolf1973

The Crown & Cutlass
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello!

The following is my representation of a Hudson Bay Dag knife and it is now up for sale!! It is 13" long overall with a sharp, 7" double sided blade of 3/16" 1075 high carbon steel. It features a full tang with a black walnut handle that's been decorated with solid brass pins. The sheath is veg tanned leather lashed with hemp cord and features some tin cone jingles.

Asking $320 USD with shipping included to Canada and the US.

Military Veterans and First Responders will receive 15% off.

Thanks for looking!

Screenshot_20230610-102014~2.png
Screenshot_20230610-102023~3.png
Screenshot_20230610-102032~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230610-145040~2.png
    Screenshot_20230610-145040~2.png
    813.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What is a "Dag" knife? And how is Hudson Bay represented?
The Dag was a large, double -sided, spear pointed blade produced by the Hudson Bay company among other makers for trade with the indians of the time. There are several examples of originals online that are highly decorated with tacks, pins and fancy beaded, or quilled sheaths.

Got a link or two for provenance of that?
I have never heard of or seen referance for a "Dag" Hudson Bay knife.
I very well might be wrong,, I'm just saying I have never heard of that.
Oh and p.s. beaded and quilled sheaths, are available for many knives,, sheaths don't name the knife.

Last edited:
Oh and p.s. beaded and quilled sheaths, are available for many knives,, sheaths don't name the knife.
You got the tools there, Necchi. Google, or use any search engine of your choice: Hudson Bay Company Dag Knife and see the specimens and info that is provided. Check out some examples that are currently available on some Stateside auction houses. I have heard that style of knife referred to as a paddle knife (maybe the shape of the blade? - just guessing?) or a beaver-tail knife. Some specimens that come up for auction are even stamped HBC on the artefacts. A unique shape and heft that trappers and natives carried as a sturdy camp knife; or a scalper - ouchy ouch!

Cheers, Pete

PS Lovely work, Runewolf1973. A beaut representative!

Hudson Bay Dagg Knives.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work, however your, and my idea of 'Reasonable and Assessable' differ quite a bit. Semper Fi.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

Putting a price tag on custom knives and other handcrafted items can be rather difficult sometimes. If you put a price on it that is too high, it might not sell for a while, or at all. Then again, if you put a price on it that is too low, not only do you sell yourself short, but you might be throwing other makers under the bus that make equally good stuff. That said, my prices are not set in stone. You or anyone else is free to make me an offer on this, or any one of my knives. I think I'm a pretty reasonable guy and I will always try my best to accomodate.

Runewolf

No worries Necchi!

I don't blame you for the skepticism on the knife. These certainly do look different than what many people might think of as a trade knife. Heck, it almost looks like something you could picture Conan the Barbarian using.😂 These knives were so awesome and unique, I just love em!

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

Putting a price tag on custom knives and other handcrafted items can be rather difficult sometimes. If you put a price on it that is too high, it might not sell for a while, or at all. Then again, if you put a price on it that is too low, not only do you sell yourself short, but you might be throwing other makers under the bus that make equally good stuff. That said, my prices are not set in stone. You or anyone else is free to make me an offer on this, or any one of my knives. I think I'm a pretty reasonable guy and I will always try my best to accomodate.

Runewolf
I understand your position. No disrespect intended. For someone like me, retired military on a fixed income, $320.00 for a knife no matter who or what it's made. Is not reasonable. That's just me personally. Semper Fi.

This item makes Runewolf1973's product seem like a giveaway!
Yeah? You seem a bit adamant. Who cares?
In a different world than you live in, other folks might wonder how you cut your meat.
A sharpened slab of steel that someone puts a name on(?)
Doesn't cut the steak I eat any better than the butter knife I need to do it,,
You some how think we're idiot's?
I mean no disrespect to the OP, and wish for him to sell his "DAG" knife replica. ASAP

Last edited:
A couple of comments, which I hope are not inappropriate.

First, @Runewolf1973 's research is meticulous, and his craftsmanship is superior. I have a scalping knife that he made, and I am thoroughly happy with it. It is authentic in every detail and is solidly put together. He is a good man to deal with, and his historic reproductions are some of the best.

Regarding dags, these were discussed in some detail in Carl Russell's Firearms, Traps, and Tools of the Mountain Men. Here is an illustration from that book:

Dag 1.jpg

In addition, Dr. James Hanson covered the topic in The Fur Trade Cutlery Sketchbook:

Dag 2.jpg

Dag 4.jpg

Runewolf's knife looks like an excellent representive of the type, and you can bet it is well made.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

A couple of comments, which I hope are not inappropriate.

First, @Runewolf1973 's research is meticulous, and his craftsmanship is superior. I have a scalping knife that he made, and I am thoroughly happy with it. It is authentic in every detail and is solidly put together. He is a good man to deal with, and his historic reproductions are some of the best.

Regarding dags, these were discussed in some detail in Carl Russell's Firearms, Traps, and Tools of the Mountain Men. Here is an illustration from that book:

View attachment 229278

In addition, Dr. James Hanson covered the topic in The Fur Trade Cutlery Sketchbook:

View attachment 229279

View attachment 229280

Runewolf's knife looks like an excellent representive of the type, and you can bet it is well made.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

That's great information. Thank you! The pricing back in the day was especially interesting and something I will take into consideration.

Last edited:
Yeah? You seem a bit adamant. Who cares?
In a different world than you live in, other folks might wonder how you cut your meat.
A sharpened slab of steel that someone puts a name on(?)
Doesn't cut the steak I eat any better than the butter knife I need to do it,,
You some how think we're idiot's?
I mean no disrespect to the OP, and wish for him to sell his "DAG" knife replica. ASAP
Necchi. No not adamant. I only posted the auction result here out of pure interest, to share, to compare the two prices, to demonstrate Runewolf1973's product and the auction item at opposing ends of the continuum. I was gobsmacked when I saw the price some of these auction items realise. And, I certainly didn't imply that I think you and other posters here are idiots. I live in the same world you do.

Respectfully, Pete

Some years ago the Museum of the fur trade Commissioned a small number of these Sorby dag blades. As I recall the original blades show up in collections of plains Indian artifacts. I have not seen one from the Great Lakes region.

Latest posts

Back