• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How small is too small?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
Is there anyway to use a .44cal bullet in a 50cal without using the sabots or is that just way too small for the rifling to engage the bullet using a patch at that point?

Is there anyway to use a .44cal bullet in a 50cal without using the sabots or is that just way too small for the rifling to engage the bullet using a patch at that point?
Assuming you are using a 0.440 ball in a 0.500 land-to-land barrel. That leaves about 0.060" of windage or difference between the ball and the lands. You can add patches to fill that gap. Multiply the patch thickness by 4 to estimate the patches thickness around the ball. Two 0.018 to 0.020 inch thick (0.072 to 0.080 inches) of patching will compress to fill the grooves and engrave lightly on the ball. This won't provide the best accuracy, but you will be able to shoot the rifle until you get some 0.490" diameter balls.

.429 44 cal or .450 ish bullet? I've tried a lot of weird things in M/L. A patch cut into the shape of a cross to rap the bullet could help.

Maybe he doesn't cast balls, maybe he's in camp with wifi but no supply stores nearby.
WHY can't we just answer his question and leave all the Nitpicking for your Personal Life???

I will admit, openly and without shame, of accidentally grabbing the wrong bag and having .530 balls for my 58 Musketoon.

I arrived that night at camp. Found the oops, recall reading here of using blue jeans for patch. I cut an old pair of jeans, made a patch, and loaded her up.
I hunted out of my bow ground blind next morning. Saw nothing.
At lunch I tried the Jean patch, surprisingly worked fine at 25 Yds. Moved to 50, started to spread.
Sat that evening at 40 yards, fully confident in my load.
I wish I had a great ending, but saw nothing except a racoon, which I let pass.
So, here's a Real Answer, not Criticism.
Try a really thick patch, maybe worn jeans, and see what happens.
Just because it's not normally excepted Does Not mean it won't Work.

My apologies on behalf of the curmudgeons.

If you’re actually talking about a bullet, then you will need something like paper or cloth around the bullet to seal the bore and engage the rifling if you want any kind of accuracy at all. That is still a sabot whether it’s plastic, paper or cloth. However, I’ve never heard of using a cloth patch for a bullet.

If you’re talking about a round ball, it can be used bare but accuracy will not be great. Instead of using a thicker cloth patch for the smaller ball, you can also use an over powder and over ball wad of something like tow, paper, wasp nest, wool or several other materials. Accuracy will be better than a bare ball.

The reason for wads, patching or sabots is to seal the bore and stabilize the projectile. Other good folks on here may elaborate further.

Back