• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spin Jag Loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This may have been discussed before, but I came across a site that sells "spin jag loaders". It's a jag that is two pieces with ball bearing that allows the bullet (ball, conical, pointed, Etc.) to engage the rifling and turn with the rifling's as it's pushed down the barrel. I'm curious to hear if any member uses one and if it made a difference in accuracy ?

I have a rod with a handle that spins. I also have a rod for larger calibers that does not spin. I do feel the rod turn as I load. I have used other rods that do not spin with the load. No difference in accuracy.

Sounds like an interesting theory, but I would doubt that it is effective in practice.

This may have been discussed before, but I came across a site that sells "spin jag loaders". It's a jag that is two pieces with ball bearing that allows the bullet (ball, conical, pointed, Etc.) to engage the rifling and turn with the rifling's as it's pushed down the barrel. I'm curious to hear if any member uses one and if it made a difference in accuracy ?
I have one. It does not really serve any purpose. in fact, if you want to use a bore scraper it won't do that properly as it does not rotate with the rod...

Wait a second........

* * DIFFERING OPINION ALERT! * *

If you have a fast-twist rifle used on a rod with a fixed T-Handle -- IT DOES WORK!

My Navy Arms Volunteer has a FAST 1-in-20" twist and the spin-jag really does help keep the rod stable while the patch follows the rifling.

For a 1-in-48" twist TC and similar rifles, maybe it's not a big deal -- but it is on fast-twist muzzleloaders.

Old No7

Back