• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How pure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the majority here, I use a mixture of the old and the new. In my workshop I have modern electric powered tools, but also hand powered tools that had once belonged to my Dad and even back to my Grandfather.
I use them all, but I want the final item that I'm making to be as completely authenic as possible.
I recently needed a new set of 8' oars for my boat. I traced the shape on planks and cut them out using a power saw, but I finished them using a drawknife, a hand plane, and sandpaper.

all hail dremel...all hail dremel...
I make most of my muzzleloading stuff with modern drills and bansaw, my longbows I am close to stone age but still use rasp and spokeshave. but if Im making a new bowdrill setup or natural shelter its flint shards and natural chordage only , oh yeah and I use dacron for doing my flemish twist too on my bowstring.

I've worked for years as one of the unplugged Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths, a truly odd group of knifemakers. We prefer hand tools and primitive techniques, but acknowledge the utility of such things as Kaowool refractory and belt grinders. On my current project, a Dickert rifle, I'm being something of a purist: the only power tools I've used are a drill press and bandsaw. Everything else is knives, chisels, scrapers and files.
Lord, I'm having fun!

Back