• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Often?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my flinters i pull & clean the locks every time i shoot them.On my perc. guns if it is a drum style i pull the lock every time if not a drum type i pull it every other time i clean just to be safe.

every time, just out of habit, cap and ball, do them same thing with six shooter, on that i just remove the hand grips use tooth bush i have a bucket of cleaner, 70% alcohol 20% Murphy 10% tap water, even have parts strainer :thumbsup:

Every time, you haven't cleaned your gun until you have cleaned the lock.
Deadeye

Wattsy said:
Just read a post that got me to wondering....

How often do YOU take off the lock to clean behind it?

I typically do not "every time".... More like once a year. What say Ye???

not only do i do it every time, i also take the lock apart, clean and oil!

I clean it each time I go to the range. Sometimes right at the range. The lock comes off each time. Some folks do but others don't. It's what you feel needs to be done. I think it's a good idea.

When I first started, didn't know any better. Went about 6 shooting sessions with a good gun before learning to take the lock off and cleaning each time.

What a mess...and the inside of the lock will never be the same.

These days... :wink:

Every single time, no exceptions...

Wattsy said:
Just read a post that got me to wondering....

How often do YOU take off the lock to clean behind it?

I typically do not "every time".... More like once a year. What say Ye???

Twice a year, maybe. To each his own though.

about every other time i go and shoot on my flinters and twice a year on the cap locks
mainly to lube oil moving parts check everything over good
never found any fowling or muke to speak of

Back