• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many of you dry your revolver in the oven?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh heck, I thought this was the Muzzleloader forum and we think in Early 1800 and back.
Now we're talking 'late 1800' and Cowboy, cattle hands
:doh:

But I still bet a fur trapper in the hills didn't think "The company" will just issue me another gun and horse before them charging Indians reach me...

Yeah, we talk of revolvers and such . . .

"Number of rounds" has nothing to do with it. You just :
1. Pack frame with syn. grease.
2. Shoot revolver.
3. Clean barrel, cyl, wipe down frame.

Why do you need to take it apart? To clean inside? Refer to step 1.

You can do this if you shoot 1 round or 1,000 rounds. Obviously, I'm just trying to explain the "why", you do whatcha want to.

Mike

Right

Yeah, we talk of revolvers and such . . .
Well sheek howdy!
Then let me repost my 1865 Springfield I was told we don't talk about here and have a discussion or two.

And if men back in the day did just view their firearms as nothing more then a "hammer" then why was Hugh Glass so bent on getting his rifle back; I mean like, wouldn't the Company just give him another?

Scalding hot water for me. Hair dryer sometimes. I know I will get ""corrected" for this:: I'm 76 and have never taken a BP revolver apart, neither stainless nor blued. If the guts are corro
"Number of rounds" has nothing to do with it. You just :
1. Pack frame with syn. grease.
2. Shoot revolver.
3. Clean barrel, cyl, wipe down frame.

Why do you need to take it apart? To clean inside? Refer to step 1.

You can do this if you shoot 1 round or 1,000 rounds. Obviously, I'm just trying to explain the "why", you do whatcha want to.

Mike
I've never taken one apart. If there is corrosion in the guts, it never affected the operation/function.

If my revolver gets full of crud I do remove the grips and wash the whole gun, no need to take apart. The moose milk or Barricade will displace the water. I then oil where needed. Hot water rinse is good but I do not heat my guns.
NO WD-40 EVER gets near any gun---PERIOD. Cans of WD-40 are just good as targets!

Scalding hot water for me. Hair dryer sometimes. I know I will get ""corrected" for this:: I'm 76 and have never taken a BP revolver apart, neither stainless nor blued. If the guts are corro

I've never taken one apart. If there is corrosion in the guts, it never affected the operation/function.

Well, so far anyway!! 😆
No need for anyone to "correct" someone else as to how they treat what they own!! I know folks that don't change oil and their cars run "just fine" . . . of course that's not the "best" care for their car and I'm sure most would agree. I've never had an engine blow but I'm not silly enough to say it never happens.
I've fixed a llllllllllot of SA's and many of them had parts breakage from corrosion but not all of them. I know there are a few folks that have won CAS championships with "box stock" revolvers but that's definitely not the norm. Some folks on these forums will swear they've never broken a spring and that's great but it's definitely not the norm. Some have never had a cap jam . . . so I guess 99% of us just don't really know how to operate a SA revolver.

Whats a Cap Jam? (grin).

My wife knew a lady who never changed her oil and ........ sadly when it got low and goopy, the engine died and left her in a terrible financial position. No one ever told her what maint was and she did not read the manual or understand what it was telling her. She was not stupid, just an early plug and play App type that thought it was all magic in there.

Now I was having fun learning about the guts of the guns and was taking them apart. Found no fouling. So clearly its a waste of time to clean it every time and clearly Mike has it down for never having to tear it down sans an internal part failure.

I suspect I will go with his method at some point. But he might wind up with one or more of my guns and then he will be sorry! (or not)

Back