• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How loud?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. However, I wasn’t asking this concerning whether or not to use ear and eye protection because I always wear ear and eye protection when target shooting or plinking.

I didn’t give the reason for asking because I didn’t won’t to clutter the thread. But, perhaps I should. So, I have a 20 acre farm with a few neighbors around. There are places on the farm where I can safely shoot a 22 rifle and it’s not so loud as to bother the neighbors. The smallest muzzleloader I currently have is a .45 caliber and I feel like that is too loud to shoot here. I know my .62 would be! I have never fired a .32 caliber muzzleloader and was wondering if it could be loaded down to or below the sound level of a 22 rifle. It would be nice to do some muzzleloader shooting here at home and not have to drive thirty minutes to a range.

And no, I didn’t ask or expect anyone to check this with no hearing protection. I would think you could tell the difference with hearing protection.

Hopefully that’s at least as clear as mud. 😄

Thanks!

Life is good.
I knew what ya meant Banjo. Your post went off the rails pretty quick. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the knife drawer, but I got what you were getting at 🤣

I'm with Etipp here. They are both loud but as a .54 caliber and a 30-06 kick, they kick DIFFERENT. Samw for the report from a .22 VS a .32 PB. And I fully support your decision for self testing. Just tell the Mrs. it is for the good of the entire forum and a new Kibler is NOT GONNA break the bank! He makes a nice .32. Getcha one and let us know.

You can also pick up a deer hunter. CVA squirrel or a crocket but since you have elected to fight the fight get the KIBLER! HA

Do they make a decibel meter? That would tell all.

And I wear protection. Between YEARS of running a webb press for the local paper, shooting all manner of rifle/shotgun/pistol (both modern and manly), I have some significant hearing issues. Don't tell the wife, I am still using the she mumbles excuse.

I was encouraged not to wear protection at the pressroom as the beginnings of a plate coming off can be heard in time but not with the muffs. Me in the crew were just too cool for that at the woods (range to some of ya).

I'm with Etipp here. They are both loud but as a .54 caliber and a 30-06 kick, they kick DIFFERENT. Samw for the report from a .22 VS a .32 PB. And I fully support your decision for self testing. Just tell the Mrs. it is for the good of the entire forum and a new Kibler is NOT GONNA break the bank! He makes a nice .32. Getcha one and let us know.

You can also pick up a deer hunter. CVA squirrel or a crocket but since you have elected to fight the fight get the KIBLER! HA

Do they make a decibel meter? That would tell all.
😄 I’ve always been one of those fellers whose just gotta find out for his self. Might be time for a Kibler.

If you just want to punch paper at fairly close range, just use your .45 loaded down. Maybe 15 grains of 3F. Small loads of fine powder peak in the first inch or so, in a long barrel you will have a very low muzzle pressure and make verry little noise. If it's a cap gun the cap may make more noise than the main charge.

Last edited:
My son was part of an experiment based upon a potential civil action against a company that manufactured electronic earmuffs. Claimant said muffs didn't work with muzzle loaders because of the delay between the cap firing and the main charge detonating. All sorts of scientific devices in an indoor, controlled access range were used (along with my Remington in-line).

Results were in favor of the company b/c it was proven the "pop" of the cap was loud enough to activate the muffs and the dampening lasted long after the initial percussion cap's explosion.

The "crack" heard is the projectile surpassing the speed of sound regardless of what it is. Load down the Crockett and, in some way ,muffle the percussion cap and I'd say you're good to go. Perhaps a large insulated tube/box on a picnic table ?

This question is for folks who actually shoot or have shot a .32 caliber muzzleloader, specifically a Crockett model. Input on other brands is welcome also.

How loud is a .32 caliber muzzle loader with typical loads (~20 - 35 grains) compared to a .22 long rifle from a similar length barrel.

I did a search and came up with a lot of could be, should be, may be answers. I’m looking to hear from folks with actual experience. I watched some YouTube videos but it’s difficult to hear exactly how loud or quite they really are.

Thanks!
Quieter than larger calibers and quieter the longer the barrel. Hearing protection needed especially at the range, not as much in the field but electronic hearing protection much advised everywhere.

I checked Amazon and found inexpensive Sound Pressure Level (SPL) Meters with A Weight filter, data hold 30-130dB, less than $30.

My watch alerts me to loud sounds that can damage hearing so there may be an app to measure SPL.

The A weight filter represents the average hearing frequency response for people and when used with an SPL meter yields a good measurement of what you hear for a SPL event.

The distance and direction of the sound to the meter microphone is critical. Place the meter in the same location for each measurement from source location, once you get it set up, be consistent in set up for each test event if you are interested in comparisons.

Using this meter will give you actual numbers in dB (decibel, logarithmic scale).

Well, if you're asking anyone based on experience to judge the difference in noise level between a .22 rimfire and a .32 muzzleloader your barking up the wrong tree. Like I'm going to remove my hearing protection to provide an answer. If you want to go right ahead, not me, I've done all the damage I want to do to my hearing. It's not a very bright question and the correct answer should be, "heck if I know, I'm not foolish enough to shoot anything short of an airgun without hearing protection." Hope that's not too curt for you.
Do you hunt with ear plugs in?😊

Last edited:
This question is for folks who actually shoot or have shot a .32 caliber muzzleloader, specifically a Crockett model. Input on other brands is welcome also.

How loud is a .32 caliber muzzle loader with typical loads (~20 - 35 grains) compared to a .22 long rifle from a similar length barrel.

I did a search and came up with a lot of could be, should be, may be answers. I’m looking to hear from folks with actual experience. I watched some YouTube videos but it’s difficult to hear exactly how loud or quite they really are.

Thanks!
A 22 rifle's sound is a sharp crack. My .32 muzzleloaders sound like a soft swoosh in comparison. I have a flintlock by Jack Garner and a percussion by the man who bought him out briefly. Both are 42" barrels and .32. Do wear hearing protections.

Banjoman,
We hold a couple of fairly noisy shoots annually here on the farm.
One is a two to four day job.
If we get any new neighbours, we let them know what is going off, that we are shooting into a steep hillside with backstops , and welcome them to come see and have a few shots.
I know your set up is different, but wonder if talking to your neighbours would help?
If they knew it was a little old M-loader and and not a .30-06 the shooting may be no bother to them.

Best,
Rich.

Thanks!
I squirrel hunt with a Crockett 32 and it is about the same as a 22 long rifle, except the crack is

Thanks!
I squirrel hunt with a Crockett 32 and the report is about the same as a 22 long rifle but the crack is not as loud ! It is a little louder than a 22 short !

Back