• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long have you been ......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my first ML, a T/C Renegade caplock in .54 cal. in 1987, when I was 15.

I've hunted with nothing but muzzle loaders since some time in the mid-1990s.

Started in early 1970's with a TC Seneca, then Hawken, built a few kits, sold everything but the Seneca, I still have it. Recently added a couple of TC Hawken's, a Renegade, a TVM Early Lancaster, a CVA kentucky kit,a Pedersoli Bess kit, now thinking about a TVM kit. I can't stop, I think I need help. :grin:

Shot a friend's .36 caliber brass framed 1851 Navy pistol back in the early '70's, before I could afford my own. Immediately fell in love with the mistique, history and romance of muzzleloaders. I finally splurged and bought a Pietta '58 Remington in, I think, 1988 from Cabela's for the whopping big price of $99.00. In addition to the Remmy, I now own a Walker and 3rd Model Dragoon. Have owned a couple 1860 Colt Armys through the years, as well as an assortment of long guns, both rifled and smoothbored (all repros of course). Can't overcome my attraction to the old traditional arms of yesteryear. :grin:

I happened to grow up in the hobby thanks to Father who got into shooting BP in the late 40's

Went to friendship for the first time at age 3 or 4? got my first set of skins at 5.

The Club that started down the hollow from Mom & Dad's will be having their 40th Annual rendevous later this month

EVERYONE THAT POSTED IS TO BE CONGRATULATED!
There is a big age difference here between posters and we are all connected by the same principles and love of shooting. Thank You All for being part of my family and True Citizens of the United States of America. :hatsoff:

Been shooting it off and on since 1975 but consider myself a true citizen of Canada, with a strong comraderie with all who posted on here. :v :thumbsup:

Got my first Markwell Arms kit in 1975 for my 25th birthday. Still trying to figure out what makes them click. (Hate that sound)

Started with my T/C 54 cal Hawken in 1984......28 years. Until just recently all I ever shot out of it was a conical; Buffalo Bullets and Hornady Great Plains mostly. Now I've started shooting RB and I love it........do I really need a 400 plus grain conical for a Florida Whitetail? ...... :hmm:

Don't remember the exact year but it was in the late eighties. Mo. started there black powder season. I bought a new .54 TC renagade. Back then if you picked a muzzleloader you could use it during the regular season and you got an extra 9 days in December. Dew

2 years..... :redface:

Inherited my gun and a good buddy at work with decades of shooting showed me the ropes and been awesome since!

Started with a borrowed .45 rifle in the first Pennsylvania Flintlock deer season in 1974. Got a "fuse delay" and missed, when I tired of waiting for the gun to go off, and relaxed my hold
(it was a looong delay). But it taught me a lesson and got me into muzzleloadin'.

I've been at it about 11 years. Was interested for a long time before that but kept telling myself that the last thing I needed was another addictive/expensive time consuming hobby. I was already into traditional archery/arrow building, big bore handguns, long range "speciality" handguns, handgun hunting, reloading, fly fishing and fly tying. All expensive and time comsuming hobbies! While on a backpack bow hunt one year a friends son came in with a .54 T/C Black Mountain Magnum and after handling it and seeing that big bore I knew I had to have a BP gun. Now I have more muzzleloaders than I really need ranging from .32-.62 and always looking for more!

My dad bought a couple .45 cal. percussion caplocks for us to hunt with in'76, I was 12, been hooked ever since so I guess that would be 36 years.

The first gun I ever bought! 1994 at the tender age of 18, a friend took me over to a gun store he knew and helped me pick out a Lee Enfield 303. But he also suggested I buy this $75.00 new in the box muzzleloader. I did. It was my .50 caliber CVA Bobcat.

I ruined the wooden ramrod trying to clean with it, warped it something crazy! But I kept after that rifle and got to be pretty accurate and reliable with it.

TC adjustable sights, musket nipple, CVA synthetic ramrod, sling swivels....it will hit the bull's eye 110 yards bench rested with 80 grains of Pyrodex and a .490 patched round ball. I use 385 grain Great Plains Bullets when hunting and PRB for the reloads.

Have tried to sell it a few times but the deal always falls through. Now I have a .54 TC Hawken and .58 TC Renegade
(both flintlocks) I'm dying to try out.

I want more TC's, a purely custom flinter, an 1853 Enfield, and :nono: [that rifle we don't talk about] for when it's raining.

Greg

36 years.
And by joining this forum I found out how little I really knew. I'm very thankful for the help I've received here and all of the info that's available.

Latest posts

Back