• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How is your cap supply?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up 500 Remington #11s ($5.50per) at a general store up here advertising Cold Beer, Wedding Gowns & Shotguns. Gotta love "full service" stores.

I can't buy any near me. Closest source is 35mi. however,I got lucky. On a trip up to Birmingham I stumbled across this little shop that apprasied guns. After looking around a little I asked him if he had any #11 caps to sell. He produced 4 tins and said "some are missing out of these but I'll take 8 bucks for them". "Deal!" I replied. So....
You never know. BTW, the tins may have had 3 or 4 missing from each.Now I have at least 380 besides the tin I missplaced :hmm:

I have that many I can give them away to guys and girls who run out in shoots , most were won as prises at comps and I only shoot capper pistols all my comp. longarms are flinters :)

I stopped by a small town gun shop today I'd not been in before. They had 11 tins of #11 Remington caps. Price was $3 per tin. I remembered seeing this thread about the scarcity/ high prices of caps so I bought 10 of the 11. Figured with muzzleloading season coming up someone might need them.
They even had an old can of Hodgdon bp (no price marked) and several new plastic "cans" of Graf bp $(25)! I passed on the powder.

I've got a couple hundred, and know where some OLD caps are for $1.95 a tin. Tested them; they work. So, soon as I have the $$ I'm going back for the rest.

They are in a small black plastic tin labeled CVA Size #11. They seem just a bit more snug than CCI #11's and fire reliably on my Traditions Hawken, (using Pyrodex P BTW). They don't always split like the CCI caps, making removal of the fired cap difficult every so often.

Here's where I shoot myself in the foot.

I got them from a little gun shop in Mesa AZ, he has (or had when I was in there) +- 8 tins left from old stock. You have to ask for them. The shop is just west of Stapely on Broadway Rd. I believe the name of it is "Mesa Gun Shop".

Since I'm on a rather tight budget and unsure when I can go get em, I figured Id give any fellow members a shot at it. I figure even if I don't get any more of them, if its someone on here I've done good. (Bonus I bring business o a local shop)

I've got a thousand or so of #11 and an unopened tin of 100 #10 I bought back in the late 1960s. There's also close to 400 musket caps in my locker. These will last a while since i don't shoot percussion nearly as much as I shoot flint.

Adui said:
I've got a couple hundred, and know where some OLD caps are for $1.95 a tin. Tested them; they work. So, soon as I have the $$ I'm going back for the rest.

They are in a small black plastic tin labeled CVA Size #11. They seem just a bit more snug than CCI #11's and fire reliably on my Traditions Hawken, (using Pyrodex P BTW). They don't always split like the CCI caps, making removal of the fired cap difficult every so often.

Here's where I shoot myself in the foot.

I got them from a little gun shop in Mesa AZ, he has (or had when I was in there) +- 8 tins left from old stock. You have to ask for them. The shop is just west of Stapely on Broadway Rd. I believe the name of it is "Mesa Gun Shop".

Since I'm on a rather tight budget and unsure when I can go get em, I figured Id give any fellow members a shot at it. I figure even if I don't get any more of them, if its someone on here I've done good. (Bonus I bring business o a local shop)

I remember those caps. I used them over 20 years ago and yes they are a pita compared to other caps. I would still use them for that price though. I'd just have something ready to help remove the caps and use them when I don't care about time.

I am rebuilding my MZ supplies since moving and so far I cannot find any caps in the county. I have a couple more shops to check out before I start to call shops that are an hour drive away.

You can get everything else you need for your boom stick locally....except for the caps.

Guys around here have taken to hoarding ammo. I work for a regional retailer known for having the best prices on guns and ammo and we have guys who come in every day checking on the latest shipment. They will buy their allotment (we have had to set limits on the amount you can buy at one time) and then send their wives, girlfriends, grandmothers, dog groomers etc. in to buy more. We get in 6 bricks of .22 rim fire and it is gone in less than an hour. Supplies are getting better, but as long as the hoarders are in panic mode it will continue to affect the availability to the regular Joe.

The hoarders and the greedy.

I've heard stories that some of the 'survivalists' are buying up the ammo and components to use for 'trading' after the great collapse they fear. :shake: :cursing:

I pick a few cans up every time I see them but it seems like every time they run out, when the restock they are a $ more. Get them when you can. I don't mean hoard but you have to get what you will need.

So far I have been lucky enough to be able to get them locally. Remingtons @$7.95 per hundred. As I don't shoot nearly as much as a lot of you when I have a couple of hundred laid back I feel like a rich man.
Take care,
Ed

Found a bunch at a local store.
CCI #11-- $4.99 per hundred.
Bought 1000.

5 cents for a .22? That makes a box of 50= $2.50. :shocked2:

I hate to say it but .22s are going for closer to 18 cents each, if you can find them in a store.

I hate to say it but if people would buy enough caps for a years shooting instead of what they think they will need for the next 2+ years, caps would be available in the stores for more people when they get there. :hmm:

I shoot alot of guns that require musket caps. I have 4000 left but I feel like I am getting low. I will probably buy another 10,000 during the spring.

Gamaliels has the RWS top hat musket caps, which seem harder to find locally.

There seems to be issues with the CCI musket cap acdg. to what I read online. They made them mild to prevent reinactors from spraying neighbors alongside. So now they are so mild they sometimes don't fire at all.

The RWS top hats are much stronger, and so people are hoarding them. The issue is only the musket caps, the other CCI's being made now are fine, acdg to what I read online.

Back