• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How is your cap supply?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about going out to see if any caps were available at the local stores. :hmm:

Then I read this topic and decided that with some people going out to buy everything in sight, they probably already cleaned out anything that might have been available. :(

I guess it's just me, but I seldom buy more of anything than I think I'll need in the immediate future.
I somehow figure there might be someone coming behind me that might need it too. :)

Well Zonie, if buying a thousand from Cabelas, on line, and and paying the haz-mat and shipping on that makes me a pig, just say so.
That comment of yours was a little bit offensive. :idunno:
They wouldn't sell less than 1000 on there.

Zonie said:
I guess it's just me, but I seldom buy more of anything than I think I'll need in the immediate future.
I somehow figure there might be someone coming behind me that might need it too. :)

I know what you mean - at a gunshow last year, a guy had 8 tins of caps for $2 each. As I was grabbing them all up after payment, the guy next to me asked the table if they had anymore caps, since he needed a couple hundred for an upcoming weekend shoot with his grandkids.

Always the sucker for a good story I asked him if he wanted to split my grabbings - he said that if I didn't mind, he wanted 3 tins. Guy behind the table told me to sell them for $3 each to make a little profit.

I had nothing to lose at $2 each, so I sold them to the guy.

Later that afternoon, I stopped by a table that had a stainless ROA for sale. The face looked familiar when I asked him the price. He said that for me, he'd knock off $100. I bought the nearly new, 35 year old ROA from the guy I sold the caps to earlier that afternoon. It was something he never fired, preferring his 1851 colts.

It was a good payback for resisting the temptation to tell the guy he was out of luck, & too late - it made my entire weekend.

20aug2013

WOW, even my trusty ol' standby, graf & sons, is sold out, but their prices seem(ed) very reasonable:

(search for Percussion & Musket Caps)
cci musket = $68.99 / 100 ; $326.99 / 5000
cci 10 = $46.00 / 100 ; $223.99 / 5000
cci 11 = same as 10's

the way to make this economical is to buy anything and get free shipping, then pay the hazmat as if.

goex and graf's powder prices aren't terrible (it's all relative) either: $15.99 and $14.99

swiss is a mere $24.99 - what a deal !

see ya'
~d~

Good story and it proves that being a good person has it's rewards.. :thumbsup:

On the subject of caps, I stocked up some time ago with both #11s and musket size. 10's are gettin a bit thin tho... :hmm:

Ive been looking at all the gun shops around Lakeland fla and I can find used guns but the dealers are all telling me govt regs and fees make powder and caps unprofitable so they only for 4th of july sales :idunno:

Brian6396 said:
Ive been looking at all the gun shops around Lakeland fla and I can find used guns but the dealers are all telling me govt regs and fees make powder and caps unprofitable so they only for 4th of july sales :idunno:

Can you explain the above and site some Florida govt. rules that only apply to one ay a year?

Jack Lalley said:
In February of last rear I was visiting the Walmart Sporting Goods Department. The deer season was over and all the muzzleloader stuff was on sale. I talked to the clerk and offered him $1.75 per 100 tin and I would buy all 18 tins he had. He He he accepted!

Betcha you could double your investment, easy.

Can't specify fla regs this just the response I get when I ask about powder, substitutes, or caps.

Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect you buy your powder and caps from a major supplier rather than a small gunshop, Wal-Mart, Cabela's, Bass Pro, or similar stores that stocks their shelves with just a few boxes of caps or carries small quantities of powder?

Knowing that even the major suppliers are running low on powder and caps, they must have sold a LOT of it this year.

I guess that either means a LOT of people are getting into shooting black powder :)
or they are hording it. :(

I'm glad nobody's hoarding flints!! They are easy to find so far. I just wish Rich Pierce was making his again :( . Looks like ya'll need to convert to flintlock :wink: .

In some ways the shooting community are their own worst enemy. The Cabella's near us had # 10 Remington caps marked black powder that were supposed to be 40% hotter for $4.99. They had 10 but I left two for the next guy. At our next match I gave 4 cans away to the shooters around me. We were going to test them and report. They are pretty good caps but no one has found any since! Go Figure.

If more people had been prepared and laid in a good stock of caps LAST year we would have a lot less buying pressure now. Trying to build a supply now is probably counter productive.

Coming home back south from Kilgore I was looking for a place with caps and spotted a shop around Henderson that I had to check out, "Rifles And Rhinestones", a ladies boutique and gun store.
My how I love Texas.
By the way, they didn't have any but I did found some at a general store in Diboll.

The local Bass Pro has them occasionally, kinda like .22 rimfire these days. They aren't out but in locked up in the case with the primers. Take a number, hang around the required wait time and ask. Sometimes yes, CCI 11s, 11 Magnum and/or 10s. One never knows. But keep trying.

I went to the Gander Mountain in Corsacanna Texas today and they had plenty of Remington Black Powder #10's. They were $6.99 per 100 in bubble packs. These are pretty hot caps and the 10's work well on my GPR. Geo. T.

Back