• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you guys store your BP?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul LaFranco

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got 4 lbs of BP coming, and am wundering how you guys store your BP for safety. I live in northern IL so it gets pretty cold here in the winter, I store my smokless powder in the basement on my loading table, but I hear BP is a different animal. I was thinking about putting the sealed factory containers in zip-lock bags, and then putting them in a sealed rubber-maid storage container and just putting it in my storage shed about 200ft away from the house. The storage shed is unheated, but I think with the BP in zip-lock bags, and also in a sealed rubber-maid container should be sufficiant to keep the moisture out of the powder, but the BP will still get cold. What do you guys think? Or maybe you guys got a better wat to store the stuff.
Thanks,
Paul :confused:

I store BP the same as smokeless powder...in the original cannister w/ the cap screwed on tightly. Am still using BP that's at least 10 yrs old. One thing I do though...when new BP is bought, the old BP is mixed w/ the new and re-cannistered w/ a marked date....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Just recently bought 10 lbs. from POWDER INC. I store them in the original 1 lb cans with cap screwed tight. All 10 lbs are in the bottom drawer of my metal desk located out in the garage.
Keep any heat source away from it. No electrical items near them either.
Shelf life for BP is longer than you would think. I've kept and shot BP that had been stored for over 10 yrs.

I'd skip the zip lock bag. The sealed plastic will hold moisture/condensate during temp swings,
like those 70 degree days and 30 degree nights we get in spring and fall.

I buy my Goex BP locally and usually don`t have more than a couple lbs around at any given time so I just keep it on the same shelf in my shop where my smokeless powder and other reloading stuff is. If I had to mail order it and keep larger quantities around, I`d probably put it in some kind of moisture proof container outside in one of my sheds.

What make of pickup is your bug out bag in Cynthia? :rotf:
I can't afford a second truck to have parked with that bag in the back!

I keep it in the original container, in a pistol safe. The safe has a dehumidifier box it it. will hold probably close to 10 lbs if I could.

Just wondering.
I had an idea of storng it in a regular safe.
Then I thought, if it ever did ignite it would be like a huge pipe bomb. I have it in a heavy wood box. Was I right to be concerned?
BTW the safe is supposed to be fire proof.

the safe is fire rated, i dont remember how much. the safe is in a closed closet so if it goes atleast its behind walls and closed door. you have to remember though if it does blow up, no matter where it is in your house more than likely will have shrapnel. heck, just the goex fff can itself will take you out. so im more comfortable in a steel case. just my opinion

I don't have enough room in my gun safe for all my guns, let along with powder. My powder is being stored in original cans in a ammo box in the basement. Even my rolled cartridges for my civil war reenactments are stored in ammo cans. Have been doing it for years. I think I have around 12pounds of varying portions of f's.

IMO, black powder is stored and shipped in a thin metal can or a plastic bottle so it cannot build up dangerous pressures if it ever ignites.

In such containers if it starts to burn it will be more like the "POOF" in a flintlocks pan than the BOOM it can make in a gun barrel.
Yes, there will be a lot of heat and smoke if it lights off in its shipping container but at least there won't be any deadly pieces of heavy metal flying around.

storing bp is just like storing all ammo. even places i go to purchase bp and ammo all keep it in safes. if im not mistaken nj law requires me to keep in a fire rated container.

Hockeyref said:
Anyone else have critters chew a hole in a plastic jug?
Thats one of the reasons I store mine in a ammo can. I mark each can for what it holds. ffg, fffg. I use the same thing to hold modern ammo also. Easy to grab and carry. I just keep the caps in different cans.

I really shy away from ammo cans for BP seeing as they are relatively air tight and you could easily cram upwards of 10 pounds of BP onto a 50 cal can.... a 20mm can is downright scary when I think about it. There are normally specific LAWS in many areas that deal with how, where, and how much BP you can legally store. You country guys have it mo better as you could easily build a proper "magazine" out back.

I wonder if anyone has ever tested it with a controlled ignition of a pound or so in an ammo can? I can remember a kid 35 years ago that would fill an empty C02 cartridge with BP and add a cannon fuse, some wax to seal it, and then "went fishing". Those made a pretty good boom if you set them off above water.... I would think an ammo can could produce similar results.

Wonder if this needs tested\debunked like the static charge question.

Back