• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Do You Fill a Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5.56 case with the base cut off and stuff in the center of an old powder can lid.
You screw it on the can, and fill your horn. No mess

I don't have a horn, but I just got one of these for my flask:
1648067276935.png

Got it from Amazon ( AmazonSmile : TDC Flask Filling Funnel : Sports & Outdoors), and it works great. Also, made here in the U.S.A.

I cut down a 30-06 case, drilled a hole in a metal cap and soldered the two together. Remove the metal cap from the one pound can and replace with the other cap. Wrap the hand around the open end of the horn and begin to pour. A slow, steady pour rate ensures a full horn. Any excess powder is swept into the horn or back into the can.
A replacement spout is available from several suppliers. That is, if you don't want to make your own.

These are mine and they all just have press-fit plugs, mostly because when I did these years ago I just made them without a clue what I "should" have been doing... Yet it just made sense at the time... Never had anything come loose and easy to fill with a spout or regular funnel... Never even heard of threading wood plugs until Youtube... Not too pretty but they work well for me...
3_horns.jpg

I do not have any experience with using horns. I have collected a couple and viewed a few at shows, etc.
I think almost every one had the plug (large) end permanently attached. Some even with brads.
Fill them through the pour spout with a tiny funnel?!?!?
My horn has a screwed-in plug on the bottom. To refill the horn I unscrew the plug and screw in a brass funnel. It fills rather quickly with that system.

I make a tightly rolled cone from a paper shopping bag. I let it "uncoil" just a bit to form a funnel and trim 1/4 inch off the end for a small hole. Put a piece of tape on the seam.

here (I hope) are some pictures of horns I made with brass plugs in the base. I make the brass plugs on my lathe using brass 1/2-13 all thread and then turning a pieces of 3/4 brass for the "knob" to hold a lace. I wax the all thread and tap the wooden base and put a thin coat of super glue on the wooden threads and screw the brass plug in for a few seconds and then remove to allow the glue to dry. This gives me a strong joint when I screw the plug back in.horns.jpg

Attachments

• horns 004.jpg
    horns 004.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 18
here (I hope) are some pictures of horns I made with brass plugs in the base. I make the brass plugs on my lathe using brass 1/2-13 all thread and then turning a pieces of 3/4 brass for the "knob" to hold a lace. I wax the all thread and tap the wooden base and put a thin coat of super glue on the wooden threads and screw the brass plug in for a few seconds and then remove to allow the glue to dry. This gives me a strong joint when I screw the plug back in.View attachment 129986
Beautiful horns. Nice work.

You mean to say that none of ya'll have one of them Automatic Horn Filling devices? I got six of them now. It takes a bit to make them work well but once you have one trained right your set go! My older ones work real well now but my newest one still just wants to put the horn in its mouth and suck on it, but I will get the bugs worked out soon.

Attachments

• Daniella-Hat-01b.jpg
    Daniella-Hat-01b.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 15
My method is far from period I use a dollar store ketchup squeeze bottle. They are sold empty often in pairs for a buck or so. I trim the tips back a bit to yield a larger hole. Just fill the bottle and squeeze the powder into the tip of the horn. Fills the horn in not time flat no spillage. BJH

I use the cat hold. Thumb and index finger wrapped tightly around the neck.

Last edited:
Back