• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do ya plan to get your Gobbler this Spring?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Any new load, gun or strategy being deployed this year? Any new turkey hunting property for you?

We have a half foot of snow on the ground to go along with single digit temps right now. Let's "talk turkey"! It will help me get through this Winter. :thumbsup:

Gonna try and actually get out after them this year. Not yet decided if the 12ga new englander gets the nod or the 62 cal flint smooth rifle. Mid April here in Wa state. yelp yelp yelp....gobble gobble BOOM :)

Skychief said:
Any new load, gun or strategy being deployed this year?
Will try again this year to get a Tom with a PRB out of my 28ga...opens April 12th.

Gona try for my first with a Muzzloader ,I will be
Useing my poorboy flinter 32cal. It shoots pretty darn good and will be putting head shots on em. Did some scouting last week and saw more toms than we have seen in several years. We have already said we will be in no camo and on the move calling. I have only shot the 32cal for a few days but at 30yrs with a .315 ball and .015 patch pushed by 30grains of FFF it will knock the centre out of the target. I don't have a BP shotgun yet but I sure am looking for the right one now , might have one by the start of Turkey season. Good luck.....

,,,,Sam,,,

Well, I thought I had my 16 ga. fowler ready for a clean kill at 20 yards...then I got a punch made by Ohioramrod and now the effective killing range is easily 25 yards with a combination of leather and felt wads with a good dose of #5s. I made a couple new wingbones from last year's bird and a new slate call...hope to use them come opening day!

For me it will be a Lyman GPR flinter with a smoothbore GM .54 barrel firing a .515" PRB. Good accuracy to 65yds, but hoping to get in much closer than that. I also thought about taking out my SxS 13ga, with one barrel loaded with #6 shot while the other will have a .690" PRB--best of both worlds.

Gobble Gobble Gobble..cluck cluck cluck...yelp yelp yeeeelp....translation in english....plan on using my .56 cal smoothy to slay my tom! :wink: Is it just me, or are there others who feel like shoot'n that dang groundhog Phil? :v

Planning to get my first black powder bird with a .32 Cherokee. Shoots great with 310 ball and 30 grns of powder.

I am going to put in for a drawing at the FWA and hope I get to go. If I do get lucky, and my Colrain turkey barrel arrives in time, I will take the Fusil de chase a' dinde I am working on.

I am using a 12 ga English Fowler I just about have finished, 38" Colerain barrel, jug choked full by Caywood.

The gun is finished enough to shoot but the stock wood wasn't fully cured so I am going to re-inlet the metal parts that need it (some gaps showing up from shrinkage) in a year or so.

Only #2 shot or smaller is legal here and I just got 2 SxS shotguns, a CVA and a Navy Pietta in 12 ga.
I'll be patterning both with copper plated #5 shot in plastic shot cups.

Wish me luck.

Same location and strategy as always for me, stalk the frozen food section at Meijer's.

reddog97, you may be the only sane one on the board.

I've been playing around with historic loads for my 20 ga. cylinder bore smoothbore, have had some encouraging early results with a combination of brown paper and tow. If some further testing pans out, I may try that. I took my last turkey using just tow, but this combination seems to be giving me more dense patterns. Love taking them with loads the old boys might have used.

Spence

Going to use my 56 Cal. T.C. smoothbore loaded with #6 shot. Good out to 25 yds.
Then again I might run them down and finish them with my patch knife. :thumbsup:

Skychief said:
You calling us :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :youcrazy: Spence ???
Absolutely, in the first degree. 'Fess up, you know it's true.

Spence

Back