• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do these work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well they screw into one of these; http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...Id=2&subId=189&styleId=940&partNum=FLASK-COLT

The "Flask" has a plate that slides back-n-forth with that lever on top like a "valve".

With the valve closed you cover the spout with your finger, invert the flask and open the valve.
The powder drops into the volume designated spout, then close the valve.
You now have trapped in the spout a designated volume measure of powder. Git it?

The bad thing about these is it's NOT safe to move this measured amount into your rifle barrel.
For saftey it's best to dump it from the spout into another tube or measure or open palm THEN into the barrel.

It's all about avoiding a random flash from a hot barrel setting off the entire flask full of powder, just like a horn, you DON'T wanna load from the horn

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen folks make a wooden "cap" with a lanyard hole that allows the screw portion on the brass tube to screw into the "cap" for use on straight sided ones, thus sealing one end and making it into a fixed measure powder measure. Doesn't work with the tapered versions very well though.

LD

newtewsmoke said:
?? Link I mean by what method do they measure your powder charge? Thanks
Just put your finger over the spout tip whether it's tapered or not, tilt the flask down, press the release valve for a couple seconds to get the spout tip filled, release the valve, then pour the powder out of the spout into the muzzle or whatever you're filling.

I don't happen to use them for measuring out powder charges for individual shots, but I do carry one in my shooting box to hold a good supply of 4F priming powder so I don't have to carry around a whole can...use it to refill my pan primer after every range session...it has a tapered spout for the convenience of letting powder flow into the pan primer's rather small plug opening...but these kind of flasks accept different size spouts like or similar to the ones you asked about.

010512TraditionsDeluxePowderFlask.jpg

The bad thing about these is it's NOT safe to move this measured amount into your rifle barrel.
For saftey it's best to dump it from the spout into another tube or measure or open palm THEN into the barrel.

It's all about avoiding a random flash from a hot barrel setting off the entire flask full of powder, just like a horn, you DON'T wanna load from the horn

Worth repeating above.
Pouring directly into the muzzle is a very dangerous practice.
This type of spout was originally intended for military use. In war guys get shot and their hands blown off :shocked2: in exchange for speed in reloading. You don't need that.
Flasks and these spouts look neat and handy but they are a very dangerous way to reload.
Do it the old way, that's why you got into the ml game in the first place.

The practical/safe version out there has a removeable powder measure that attaches to the flask. Invert, fill measure, remove measure and pour down barrel.

Loyalist Dave said:
I have seen folks make a wooden "cap" with a lanyard hole that allows the screw portion on the brass tube to screw into the "cap" for use on straight sided ones, thus sealing one end and making it into a fixed measure powder measure. Doesn't work with the tapered versions very well though.

LD

What a great idea! I came up with about a dozen of them, but I don't dump directly from the flask so they're not getting any use.

Got a non-muzzleloading buddy with a lathe that's looking for projects, so I'm going to volunteer to be his prototype. :grin:

Disclaimer :
Just for the fun of discussion , do not try this at home ,
at least not with black powder .

This said , do you know what this thing is ?

sablier.jpg

It was intended for measuring time , but in reverse it
can be used for measuring sand or black powder .

The same amount goes through the restricted part
in the same time .
If one has a good sense of rhythm , it easy to pour the same
amount each time .

Just watch the barmen pour liquor next time

I know it is the general consensus , but can you prove it ?

Do you know somebody who survived riding a motorcycle without a helmet ?

Actually , I agree with you that it is not something that should be done , hence the disclaimer at the very beginning of my post , but I still think it has been done in the past , like sailing on ships without radar or radio .

I always use a measure flask for revolvers and find them a great convenience it that application. I have a variety of spouts, some modified to throw a specific charge for a specific revolver. Because they are operated by one hand I can keep the revolver upright in the other hand while I charge all five or six chambers, then add wads to all chambers, then seat balls in all chambers. It goes a lot quicker that way versus loading one chamber at a time. I've also made some separate measures to work in conjunction with a modified flask spout such that when you lift the spout from the measure it will be level full with no spillage. For a day out with the shotgun I find it easier to carry a small flaks in my pocket versus a horn hanging around my neck but I do use a separate measure then, the flask spout is just a pouring spout.

Tourblanche said:

Actually , I agree with you that it is not something that should be done , hence the disclaimer at the very beginning of my post , but I still think it has been done in the past , like sailing on ships without radar or radio .
It does happen, mostly to reenactors who are trying for speed in reloading. I saw it happen once on TV when a guy was demonstrating how fast he could load a musket. He was fortunate that his hand was clear of the muzzle when the powder blew.
Shooting and reloading at a more reasonable pace it seems very unlikely that an "ember" would continue to glow it the bore long enough to set off the next charge but better safe than sorry.
In the book "The Gun" W.W. Greener speaks of the breechloading guns as being safer because it eliminates that danger of muzzleloaders, he gives the impression that it was a fairly common accident to have the freshly poured powder charge ignite. There were special flasks called "safety flasks" which had a more complex valve system supposedly to prevent the flask exploding if the new charge should ignite. I once blew up a favorite flask when shooting off fireworks. I had left the flask on the ground about six feet from the mortar I was shooting but in a direct line with the touch hole. It made quite a spectacular demonstration and I only found the bottom half of that flask. :haha:

Tourblanche said:

I didn't see it go off, but I know a guy at a job I had years back.
Long story short, it was concusion injury to the right hand and he lost a small portion of the ring finger and pinkey.
It actually happens with enough frequancy to merit caution.
Loading long guns from a horn or flask IS an idiot move that's easily avoided.

Loading long guns from a horn or flask IS an idiot move that's easily avoided.

I totally agree , everybody who did it in the XVII and XVIII th cent. is dead today . They could have avoided it .

I rest my case , since I was talking about history , not
about a modern hobby .

And , by the way , there are no ambers in the barrel while one is loading his first shot .

I have no doubts that people back in the 19th Century loaded their rifles and pistols directly from the flask.

There are dozens of Patents to prevent fire/flames from getting to the powder in the flask that were granted and many were put into production.

These Patents included the simple swinging gate that is found on the Italian reproductions thru elaborate multi-firewall, sliding tubes and more.

Whether they actually worked when used by the buyers probably will never be known but there are records of people loosing fingers/hands while loading after their flask or horn blew up.

I think that most of the people who lived during that time period probably knew what we know today.

It is very simple to transfer the powder from the brass measure on a flask to another small container and then dumping the powder from the small container into the bore/chambers and the absolute worst that can happen is that one powder charge ignites.

In 40 years of shooting muzzleloaders I have never seen this worst case ever happen but as with all bad things, sooner or later it will happen.

I use powder tubes (lanes powder tubes for example)
It may not be authentic but its safer and 5 or 10 in my possibles bag is no problem

Ken Clements said:
I use powder tubes (lanes powder tubes for example)
It may not be authentic but its safer and 5 or 10 in my possibles bag is no problem

What do you mean by "powder tubes"?
The only powder tubes I am familiar with for loading are those made up by the benchrest and slug gun fanatics. Those tubes sport a funnel at the top of a long tube that reaches to the bottom of the barrel. The idea is to drop [they are also sometimes called 'drop tubes'] the powder to the bottom of the barrel without fouling the bore. Do you carry a three to four foot long tube in yer shooting bag? :wink:

Back