• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How did you get hooked?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've shot percussion cap rifles for many years, Then, one night, I watched Steve Rinella's TV Show "Meateater". The segment was called "Flash in the Pan" It was about the Pennsylvania Flintlock Deer Hunting Season. I was hooked and went out and acquired a Hawken Woodsman and Kentucky Flintlock shortly afterwards...

For me it was squirrel hunting with my grandfather, using his 36 caliber original Ohio flintlock. Must have been 9 or 10 years old in the early '50s. When he passed away in '62 my brother got his rifle. My first black powder firearm that I bought was a 36 caliber EIG Kentucky pistol, that was in 1960 cost me $45. Now 37 different black powder arms in the collection, I'm still picking them up here & there. The latest one is a Navy Arms 1864 Springfield 58 caliber three band musket with bayonet, tompion, nipple protector and custom made case that converts to a coffee table.

For me it was squirrel hunting with my grandfather, using his 36 caliber original Ohio flintlock. Must have been 9 or 10 years old in the early '50s. When he passed away in '62 my brother got his rifle. My first black powder firearm that I bought was a 36 caliber EIG Kentucky pistol, that was in 1960 cost me $45. Now 37 different black powder arms in the collection, I'm still picking them up here & there. The latest one is a Navy Arms 1864 Springfield 58 caliber three band musket with bayonet, tompion, nipple protector and custom made case that converts to a coffee table.
Pictures of coffee
table case please

The legs unscrew and store inside. The bayonet is on a hindged lidded compartment for stuff like ammo and powder etc.
100_1749.JPG

100_1751.JPG

I had a crazy uncle , and two likewise cousins back in the late 1960's. Uncle was screwed up from WW 2 , and only worked sporadicaly welding big inch gas transmission lines. The cousins had little to do except they liked to shoot guns. Ammo bills got too rediculous , so uncle got the boys two Belgian made muskets from Dixie GW. The ammo bills went away , black powder was cheap , scrap lead , and a Dixie mold , 16 ga. put them in business for little money.
I got hooked when one of the cousins , brought his musket over , and let me fire it into a water hole , in the back yard.. I was impressed , to say the least. Ten or so years went by , as did tech college , new job , a move complete w/ house building. I shot competition trap mixed w/ a little high power rifle comp , won a trap championship at a local sportsman's club , and got totally bored with modern shooting. Built three Br. Bess kits for Fort Ligonier to use for demonstrations. By then , I was so far down the m/l rabbit hole I could see there was no hope of finding the exit. Half a century + later glad I stayed in the rabbit hole. Lotsa friends , m/l deer hunting adventures , competition m/l shooting.. It's all been good.

Latest posts

Back