• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How can I tell without a borescope if I have a ringed barrel??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if we controlled the contraction, or under sizing by pushing a rifling button that fit the bore and rifling that it had in until it reached the ring / bulge. I believe that is how modern barrels are hammer forged..

What if? What if a frog had wings, he would not bump his rear end when he hopped.
Are you sure frogs bump there rear end when they hop and are you sure wings would prevent it?

IMO, the idea of putting a plug into the barrel in a bulged area and hammering the barrel down using the plug to keep it from becoming undersize could be done but it would involve using the right size plug.

Because steel has "spring back", if you used a bore sized plug, the barrel would be compressed against the plug when it was struck but it would move back away from it after the blow. The end result would be a bore that is still oversize or still bulged.

Trying to figure out how much undersize the plug would need to be to have the bore end up springing back to right size would take a lot of experimentation. Each steel is different and it has different spring back so what works in a Traditions wouldn't necessarily work in a Green Mountain barrel.

The people who make hammer forged barrels have been down this road and spent a lot of money working out the problems and they know what their arbors need to be.
No one I know of knows what size plug a muzzleloading barrel would need to have.

Latest posts

Back