• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horns with brass measures?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageArcher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if a powderhorn with a spring loaded brass spout measure is too recent a design for pre-1840. It also has small brass swivels on the horn body instead of being tied off on the ends.

The authenticity of a horn with a spring loaded brass measure spout would all depend on the time period you are planning on recreating and the persona you are trying to recreate.

Bear in mind that the features in question are generally found on horns owned by the upper class or social elite. They were expensive, hard to make and rare. If you are building a persona based on something like a HB trapper, woodsman or someone of that nature, than a brass tipped horn would probably not be something for you.

The introduction of spring loaded spouts on horns are hard to date. The practice grew overseas and migrated to the US later; but the first examples I have seen were really no earlier than about 1820. Granted, it is always important to remember that when trying to date anything from original examples, you should consider the common museum practice of taking an additional 10 years or so from the dated item.

Unless the specimen in question is a known and documented example of a "first type" or is a prototype taken from the inventors own desk; most items of this nature found in museums had the origins of their features evolve some years back from the artifact you are looking at. If you see a powder horn with some kind of brass tip in a museum and it says "Brass tipped powder horn, maker unknown. Circa 1842) You can bet there was one like it, somewhere, at least 10 years earlier.

Experimentation with spring release nozzles for priming horns can be found slightly earlier than 1800, but not much and not in great numbers. Many of the first horns with brass measures attached to the nozzles were in fact a bit of a Frankenstein arrangement in which the maker had cut the top off of a very early brass powder flask and attached it to the end of a horn.

Keeping true to history, it would be hard to justify a fancy spring loaded, brass tipped powder horn in the hands of the common trapper or woodsman. Most men of that ilk would have little use for such an item. Their skill, built up over years and years of nearly daily firearm use would have honed their skills with a horn far beyond the need of a fancy measure. If such a persona is your goal than a standard horn with a regular wooden stopper, complete with bite marks, would be the more accurate accoutrement IMHO.

If your impression is to be that of a city gentlemen, say from around the 1830's, than the inclusion of such an item would be a great addition and would add a subtle bit of class to the overall look of your persona.

:m2c:

As was said most common folks wouldn't have owned such a device,"unless" You were a Highwayman or won it in a game of chance. :crackup: :hmm: :front:

As was said most common folks wouldn't have owned such a device,"unless" You were a Highwayman or won it in a game of chance. :crackup: :hmm: :front:
Or won it in a game of shootin' skills, or picked it up after a skirmish, etc., etc., etc. :winking:

Thanks for the responses guys. While I'm a long way off from worring about accurate reenacting yet, every tidbit of knowledge gained saves me from a mistake later. :hatsoff:

The earliest powder horn with brass fittings with which I am familiar is in the Sir John Caldwell collection in the Museum of Civilization in Hull, Ontario,Canada.It is with a woven sash and the two pieces date to before 1780 when Caldwell went back to Ireland.They are illustrated in "Bou'jou Neejee",Profiles of Canadian Art No.117 P.130. See sash No.21 P.72 for a brief provenance of the famous Caldwell collection.
Tom Patton

Some of the early military powder horns( Early 1800's) for rifle outfits had brass spouts similar to the type sold by TOW. These had a teder-toder type lever. A mountain man or two had a powder horn(see Hanson's The Plains Rifle) with a spout similar to what is seen on a brass powder flask.

Well again guys thanks for all the great input. The horn I got is really just for hunting but I figured I'd check with ya'll first. I'll probably end up making one for myself later thats better suited to whatever period and locale I finally take a serious intrest in.

The horn itself is fairly nice, but its the first one I've ever owned or used. My only complaint is it won't work with well with anything other than 3fff powder. 2ff clogs in the charger.

Back