• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn Plug, tether or no?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fit the first horn I built in the early 70's with a plug carved from the horn tip, which broke after only a dozen years & needs fixing. I drilled the plug for a tether. 2 more horns both have fiddle plug plugs and I was looking for an excuse to tether them, too.

TOO FUNNY - Sky, I'm still laughing - not at Brokennock but how Sky said it. I think we all been there at one time or another :grin: . OH and I teather. I dropped a plug after I poured a measure down the barrel and I dropped the rifle trying to get the plug then dropped the ball & patch - it was a mess :cursing: .

crockett said:
Do we know for sure tethering is not pc? I never thought about it before.

Interesting, would tethering be correct based on the size of a horn, small flat horn carried in a bag or a horn carried on a strap, where it could be pulled out from the horn while moving about?

It's not a question of convenience or inconvenience, nor of PC/HC. It's a safety issue.

Shooters who tether will eventually find themselves standing at the line and pulling the trigger with their plug dangling by it's tether and the spout open waiting for a spark to set off the bomb at the shooters side!

I prefer to tether my plug to my horn. When I first started loading from a horn, I did not put a tether on my plug. Then, after loosing a couple of plugs and a hornful of powder, I started tethering my plug. Since I carry my powderhorn on my left side but my bag on my right side, it was necessary to tether my plug to my horn. I just prefer to tether to the horn rather than to the horn strap.

I tether.

IMG_20150110_150534072_zpsyw3gpibi.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I tether mine, but I like the idea of keeping an extra in the bag... I know you're not supposed to lad up 'junk' in the bag, but it's a tiny bit of wood that could save you an awful lot of hassle!

Crockett's question is indeed one worth addressing. It doesn't seem like tethering plug would have been a difficult thing for our forbears to have figured out. Does anyone know if there is evidence that plugs were indeed tethered back in the day?

Smollett

Looked in Ned Robert's Book, "The Cap Lock Rifle" and in the 3 pages of photos of the F.E. Dunn Collection of original horns only 3 or so have a tethered plug and the a fair share of the horns do not have a plug in place.

Open to speculation where did the missing plugs go to?

I no longer tether mine, when I did I found my self not putting the plug back in the horn. I was at a rendezvous when some one had a horn blow up. Thank good ness he was not hurt to bad, but it made a lasting impression on me. Its easy to get in a hurry and not think about what we are doing. Just my two cents.

Agreed - many original (or at least old) horns at shows and in reference books are missing plugs - in some cases, possibly lost in use & in other cases, possibly people did not bother to keep a simple, roughly whittled & tooth marked plug when the horn was taken out of use & checked to ensure that no powder remained. :idunno:

Back