• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

horn dye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Probably been asked before, but what type of dye could be used for powder horns, something readily and easily available. looking for dark colours, brown, red or black. i`ve tried coffee, tea, wood stain, none of those was very effective. they worked well on antler.

Fiebing's Leather Dye comes in black, light brown, medium brown and dark brown - just to name some of the colours available. Also because it is a "spirit" stain, you can lighten the Dark Brown (or other colours) by adding small quantities of it with alcohol or acetone. To "play with" the dye to get the colour you want, you can add the alchohol/acetone by volume such as 3 parts stain to one part alcohol/acetone, Half and Half, etc.

Good idea to use the cut off end of the horn to try out the colour or mixtures on, to see what they will look like when finished.

Gus

Rit fabric dye works the best for me an seems more durable, I've tried leather an wood dye an it doesn't seem to get absorbed into the horn like rit does an will wear off with use.

back in the day, sonny, when men were men and giants walked the earth, we used rit berries ... these came from a secret source, and if'n I told ya where it was, I hafta kill ya...

(but the local JoAnne's probably has them)

good luck with your project :)

I agree, Rit seems to be the overwhelming choice. Just turn the horn upside down and stick the tip in the dye.

RIT works a lot better if you heat the solution to about 180 degrees before immersing the horn. Don't polish the horn too much or it will not absorb the dye. After scraping and sanding I just use a brown Scotchbrite pad to give the horn a low, even, sheen.

Make sure you use the powder rit dye. Heat in a pot and add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to help set the dye.

woodse guy said:
Make sure you use the powder rit dye. Heat in a pot and add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to help set the dye.

I've used the liquid RIT many times when I couldn't find the powdered RIT and it works fine. Never used vinegar in it, as that is added for cotton materials and it doesn't need it for horn.

No offense, just saying that it has worked for me for many moons now!

People have used hair dye (after all, horn is compressed hair). Aqua fortis also works, but its primary application has been to age the body (light color) to a golden color (apply, let dry, heat).

Back