• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn at Dixon's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently finished my third horn, after three years of off-and-on work - mostly off - and in a fit of bravery I entered it at Dixon's Gunmakers' Fair. I didn't win any ribbons, but I got exactly what I was hoping for: two pages of critique and some nice comments.
BB35FE6E-A3A7-4AEF-B45B-B4861AD4FC4D.jpg

3A47981A-C4C5-4E14-906F-33406C4F8A91.jpg

P7300572.jpg

P7310600.jpg

P7310601.jpg

I'd be proud to claim it. good job sir :hatsoff: .

I thank you for the kind words, but there were nicer horns with stronger, bolder engraving. One judge told me that my erratic engrailing - the spacing did not come out evenly; it was the weakest part of the horn - was the reason I did not win a ribbon. I can certainly understand and appreciate that. Don't do it with a deemed the Tuesday night before the competition! :doh:

We'll see! This one only took three years.... :hmm:
I think, however, I can work a bit faster on the next one. I'd like to try to scrim one loosely based on Jonathan Hampton's 1758 map of the Delaware River and the NJ forts.

Beautiful horn and congrats on having the stones to enter it into the judging. That's not an easy thing to do and if you don't have the right attitude it's not going to go well for the entrant. The judges at Dixons are not the be all end all horn gods and don't proclaim to be. They are simply judging entered work based on their years of knowledge and research and most of them are among the most accomplished and skilled artisans themselves. It is about as educated a critique as you will ever receive on hornwork and is a whole lot more valuable (and brave) then posting it on forums from the safety of your easy chair so everyone can ooh and ahh without telling you where you can improve. As you can see from the comments they certainly analyze every aspect of the horn.
I consider any educated constructive criticism invaluable and my mind devours it like food. I also always take it with a grain of salt and do not compromise what makes my work mine.

I hope you make more horns and continue to enter them into the judging! The horn shape and design certainly flows which shows you have a great grasp of composition and form, engraving skill will come with time and practice!

When I was coaching I always told the kids the only way to get better was to play people who are better. Any one can say "nice job" or "needs improving" but when some one tells you how to get better their advice is better than a pat on the back! :idunno:

I remember the bag you entered - and won Judges' Choice with! It was nice meeting you; I was talking with you, Mary, I believe, and Roy Stroh as you looked for a pewter button Saturday afternoon.

Congratulations on the Madison Grant Award!

Eric, I think you nailed it with the judging. colmoultrie, you did a nice job on your horn keep up the good work. Rick, I know the judges do not know who's horn they are judging so your comment is uncalled for. Jerry P.

Latest posts

Back