• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hoppe's no. 9 plus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
for those of you that use it as a patch lube how do you use it in the field. sray bottle,loose pre-lubed patches. how long do you think it would last in the open,like pre-lubed patched balls in a ball board. does it evaporate quickly.

Are we talking the rifle cleaning solvent? Because that stuff is designed to eat lead and copper. If you shoot unpatched lead then it probably isn't a bad idea to use it to clean with. But I wouldn't use it for patch lube, it would start to eat your ball and loosen your grip on the rifling. That and it is rather flammable iirc, giving a whole new meaning to burning patches. I have found that it does evaporate kinda quick. Faster then water at least.

Hoppes No9 "PLUS" is for BP use and is an outstanding solvent / patch lube.

NewStyle8ozbottle-1.jpg

my usual patch lube is mink oil from TOW but i recently picked up a quart of Hoppe's no. 9 plus at a flea market for $5.00. i use a ball board when hunting and was wondering how fast it evaporated in the open air,and when evaporated does it leave a lubricating film behind.

david50 said:
my usual patch lube is mink oil from TOW but i recently picked up a quart of Hoppe's no. 9 plus at a flea market for $5.00. i use a ball board when hunting and was wondering how fast it evaporated in the open air,and when evaporated does it leave a lubricating film behind.

I have it in both the quart bottles and the plastic pint bottles (like the photo) and its two different formulas.

The liquid in the quart bottles with the old label is thin like water and has a particular odor to it...I sumed the quart bottles were the same stuff or I never would have bought them.

The pint bottles with the new label is a different formula...thicker, slippery, smells great, etc.

So I just use the old thin watery formula as a cleaning solvent by soaking stacks of cleaning patches to wipe between shots...and I use the new thick, slippery formula as patch lube at the range if I don't feel like wiping between shots that particular day.

I use the stuff roundball uses in the pint size. It's a good range and hunting lube. You can shoot all day without wiping between shots because it wipes the bore as you load.

I sometimes use it for hunting too with a loading block. But, my blocks are oversize in both thickness and the size of the ball hole. I can easily press a ball in a dry patch into my boards. Just tight enough to keep them from falling out. Then, using a small dispenser of some type, I squirt some lube onto the patched ball while still in the board on the side that wraps around the ball. Then it is rammed down the barrel with the long arm of a short starter straight out of the block.

This method keeps the patch clean since it stays dry. OTOH, I often load greased patched balls in the board too, but must remember to wipe between shots or it can get difficult to load.

Where can ya find Hoppes No.9 Plus? TOW doesn't list it. I bought some a couple years ago in a white 8 oz plastic container. Use it mostly for cleaning especially when I can't get patches to come out clean. GW

Google would probably list a number of BP suppliers...also check EBay, GunBroker, AuctionArms

The new formula in the new style 8oz bottles is the real deal...good lube mixed in and I use it for patch lube at the range.

And agree with you about the old white bottles...that's stuff apparently doesn't have any sort of lube in it, mainly just a solvent and that's all I use it for...

roundball said:
Hoppes No9 "PLUS" is for BP use and is an outstanding solvent / patch lube.

NewStyle8ozbottle-1.jpg

The info Roundball put out their about this product, made me a junkie!

I can run all day consistently with this product, and no swabbing, cleaning, etc... between shots!

I pre lube patches, and lube individually when shooting from the bench.

The only way to improve the stuff, is to put it into vintage container!

There are other lubes, that may be better but this works great for me!

Buy it directly from their website
http://www.hoppes.com/products/no9_plus.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, check those other places and consider a case of 10 bottles...price per bottle is way down compared to buying it from the manufacturer

First let me say I love the Hoppes BPS&L? When I first came to this site there were several praising the Hoppes and Roundball leading the charge. Being unsatisfied with the lube I was using, I tried a bottle and have never looked back.
A year ago towards the end of muzzle loading season I happened to be in Sports Academy. I always check there shelves for anything usable, because they discount their seasonable stuff at the end of the season. Most of it is for those infernal inlines but occasionally they have something for the traditional hunter.
Tucked on the bottom shelf still covered in the dust that had accumulated on it in the warehouse is a bottle of Hoppes BPS&L. It was the 8 oz. bottle with a red discount price tag for $2.00. :shocked2: They normally sell for $4.59 plus shipping online at the sports stores. Needless to say I bought all five bottles, dust and all. :grin:
Midway, Midsouth Shooters Supply both of them carries it!

Number 9 Plus great stuff. :bow: I use it wet for patch lube. In a Rice Radial cut barrel and Wano powder it is clean. :grin:

would it be ok to use this as a patch lube for all day hunting? wouldn't foul the load?

and the cleaning regimen?

I don't use any water based patch lube when hunting, as the patch dries out in the bore, and leaves a rust ring where the PRB touches the barrel. BTDT. Its darn hard to get that rust ring out once its there. Use a vegetable or oil/wax based LUBE on your patches for hunting.

In addition, use the same lube to grease the bore AFTER you seat the PRB. This will protect the rest of the barrel from rust during an all-day hunt in humid weather.

I've never tried Hoppes NO9 PLUS BP as a patch lube for hunting...I just have it in my head that I don't care WHAT kind of liquid it is...it HAS to have some sort of negative effect on powder...could be completely wrong of course.

I use the liquid Hoppes PLUS BP at the range to be able to shoot entire range sessions...particularly during low humidity/dry conditions...so I don't have to bother wiping between shots. But I've never had that need for PRB hunting...I always just use Natural Lube 1000 on patches for the occasional deer or squirrel...then clean the bore before reloading anyway.

I'd trust it in a bore all day though I use a Crisco lubed patch for the initial load when hunting. Most any type over powder wad will protect the powder. Hoppes #9 is a liquid but it IS thick & greasy.

Latest posts

Back