• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoo Boy Howdy, Pig Stickers!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Just got these in the mail from TRS. The top one is for a Ferguson rifle, the next for early pattern Besses, and the bottom for later pattern Brown Besses

sfVZIX8.jpg

I have this overwhelming desire to go out and stab something. Maybe I will find somebody's pumpkin. Heh, heh, heh....

dave

If you live in the Southern USA, you should have no problem finding a feral hog or a coyote to stab.
If you don't live in the Southern USA, you can come down here and stab some feral hogs and coyotes.
Stab all you want. We won't miss them. :thumb:

Hi,
Just got these in the mail from TRS. The top one is for a Ferguson rifle, the next for early pattern Besses, and the bottom for later pattern Brown Besses

sfVZIX8.jpg

I have this overwhelming desire to go out and stab something. Maybe I will find somebody's pumpkin. Heh, heh, heh....

dave

Hi Dave,

Is the alloy of those castings the sort where they can be hardened/annealed like an original bayonet, realizing only the blade and arm of originals were steel and the sockets Iron?

Gus

Hi,

sfVZIX8.jpg

dave
Just the thing to discourage dogs from getting in your trash and keeping miscreant children at bay on Halloween night, LOL!

Hi,
Dogs in the trash don't bother me but miscreant kids? Now there's a thought, hmmmmm.

Gus, I believe they are 4140 steel. They can be hardened and tempered. To be honest, I don't know what the temperature parameters were for hardening and tempering the original bayonets. My suspicion is they were done like swords but the edges don't need to hold an edge so they may have been treated more like springs.

dave

I would think you would want your bayonet to bend a little instead of break, you could always hammer it straight after the battle (if you survived)

Hi Sam,
Yeah, and after roasting your mutton on it over the fire, the original temper was probably toast anyway. Actually, I think there were regulations against doing that.

dave

Hi,

sfVZIX8.jpg

dave
Would not be sticking piggies with one of those mounted on a gun that shoots accurately. If things get aggressive you may find yourself needing to bend your barrel to get it shooting back to its point of aim.

Back